Burger restaurant owners take Gordon Ramsay's criticism poorly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/20/burger-restaurant-owners-take.html

1 Like

Just watched this clip yesterday. It was fairly awesome to see the Chef doing something awesome and being acknowledged for it.

Reminded me of a real life version of the scenes in the movie Chef where Favreau’s character is completely dismissed by the owner played by Dustin Hoffman.

4 Likes

It was. But I’d rather have seen Ramsey eat either both patties unadorned or both fully garnished and assembled into a burger. Seems like Ramsey went out of his way to ignore that difference.

2 Likes

I think Ramsey summed it up nicely when he asked that excellent chef wtf he was doing there.

3 Likes

If memory serves Ramsey asked about it being just a plain patty and the owner said “that’s how I like it served”.

6 Likes

Yeah, he did, but even so. And is that how the restuarant serves them? Of course the fully assembled burger is going to taste better than the bare pattie (well, nearly bare - that cheese did look like an abomination). I’d like to see the previous segment where (I infer) the actual restaurant’s recipe burger was served? But not enough to seek it out. Hey-ho - it all makes for sensationalist TV, which is all the producers wanted.

1 Like

Agreed with all of that except I think beyond being way undercooked he covered it with some unknown seasoning. I bet it tasted like shit regardless.

2 Likes

Note that both these tools [Ramsey & Owners] are the very reason I left the Food Industry, left far behind.

7 Likes

I love even bad burgers.

2 Likes

I remember this episode. This is yet another pair of demented owners who think running a restaurant is easy. And when they’re called on it the wife pulls out the pop-psychology violins on behalf of herself and her deluded husband who thinks he’s a gourmet.

2 Likes

Why is there no bun for the shitty burger? Does he not understand how hamburgers work?

1 Like

Even just going by meal presentation, it’s clear that one of these guys actually gives a shit, and it’s not the owner.

2 Likes

Sorry, but can someone translate for a poor vegetarian? I keep hearing them say something that sounds like “Way-goo.” They weren’t talking about “wagyuu,” were they?

1 Like

Dude above me got it. Its pronounced wah-gyew.

As a Japanese speaker, that was the first time Ive heard pronunciation of Japanese so bad it angered me.

I love hamburgers. My family’s nickname for me is Wimpy for a reason. So as both a hamburger lover and a Japanese speaker I want to strangle this man because he is butchering both the word and the hamburger and neither in a good way.

Also I seem to have heard the chef comment that The Other Guys burger was from Frozen beef. I am trying to imagine the level of an idiot that pays for something approaching wagyu beef and is willing to freeze it. And 3rd, actual Japanese Wagyu is not exported from Japan. What people typically call wagyu are from cattle outside of Japan raised with the method to give similar texture to the beef from my understanding.

TL DR version is Christ what an asshole

5 Likes

And Alan kept eating his own patty!

I’ll lay odds the owners are heavy smokers and can’t taste shit-all.

4 Likes

A lot of chefs are heavy smokers

1 Like

The full episodes (it’s a two-parter) get into the father supposedly stealing $250,000 of his son’s inheritance from his grandfather to start the restaurant.

What’s not mentioned: granddad was a crime boss https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Saffron

4 Likes

Trust me, Ramsey can distinguish the flavors of the garnishes from the qualities of the patties in question.

Too many years in Beard-nominated kitchens here.

7 Likes

The owners’ delusion is par for the course in Kitchen Nightmares. (They wouldn’t have been selected otherwise.)

Just from that 5 minutes of tape, you can tell the chef is no “bully”! If anything he was gun-shy and bordering on timid. He’s put upon and forced to deliver an inferior product due to the interference of the owners who “know better.” There’s a Dunning-Kruger effect going on, such that she doesn’t understand just how badly she doesn’t understand what she’s doing-- so it must be “someone else’s” fault.

I thought it showed a stupendous amount of unconcerned stupidity: you think you can serve a naked burger with some cheese haphazardly slopped on it? To Ramsey? And then continue to insist that was the correct/proper thing to do? To Ramsey? I’m just surprised Ramsey didn’t react with his patented “Hurling Unsatisfactory Food Off the Table, Followed by Rant of Expletives” routine.

2 Likes