French kids pay respects to Serge Gainsbourg

Originally published at: French kids pay respects to Serge Gainsbourg | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Au revoir Serge.

985a07e81e4c72d3e4fb5ed8492419d0

4 Likes
2 Likes

The quote I remember from his obituary was “He drank too many cigarettes.”

6 Likes

ive been seeing this clip going around and i cant help but feel like its less that he is moved emotionally than drunk and barely keeping from expressing how weird and embarrassing this is for him. Maybe its just me projecting. Id be mortified in that situation.

Am I the only one who finds it creepy that kids are honoring the guy who filmed the “:Lemon Incest” video with his 12-year-old daughter? Just another of his “often provocative and scandalous releases,” as Wikipedia puts it. It’s interesting which artistes get nailed for this stuff and which get a pass. Ah, the French!

3 Likes

Man, I’ve lived in this country for 17 years and I’ve never understood the French’s reverence for Gainsbourg. I don’t claim to be an expert on his oeuvre, maybe his earlier work is profound and interesting, but with age he turned into a perverted drunk, continually praised for being evocative and pushing boundaries. I don’t know how much longer that will be the case, as millennial women and younger seem to be largely rejecting that idea. I’ve never actually told anyone here that I think he was gross, what would be the point? But I think France is finally shifting from its heavily misogynistic past (albeit verrrrrrrrrrrry slowly!).

3 Likes

Hopefully not Je t’aime… moi non plus

1 Like

Well, it does include the perfect song to remember him by:

2 Likes

She still turned out all right.

::Watches Nymphomaniac:: Nevermind…

1 Like

Also had a teenaged France Gall sing about a girl that loves being paid to suck on a man’s lollipop, without informing her of the undertones. Classy guy.

1 Like
1 Like

I considered a similar remark, but the “hopefully nots” was just too long a list.

2 Likes

For all the pleasure of vintage signing french boys without the guilt of a crying “con” I recommend “Les Poppys” (including swinging corduroy action):

The message is bitter, though. 50 years later, still nothing has changed. Except for Les Poppys of course, who have turned into presumably grumpy old men in the meantime.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.