French TV cuts Facebook Live video from desecrated Jewish cemetery due to anti-Semitic troll swarm

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/french-tv-cuts-facebook-live-v.html

4 Likes

anti-Semitic troll swarm

Yes folks, anti-semitism is real, and alive & well in the World, unfortunately.

18 Likes

Doubly so for youtube comments.

11 Likes

How do you say… les trolles?

6 Likes

It would have taken 10 or 20 staff?

(Clutches pearls)

How much profit do they make, again?

And their combined intelligence couldn’t predict this in advance?

Fuckwits. Greedy fuckwits, all.

ETA I have no idea how FB actually works, never having used it, but surely they could have disabled comments, rather than pulling the video, which was how it read to me.

9 Likes

Because the original Nazis were so good for France.

8 Likes

Meanwhile:

I don’t see why it’s a big deal - they say that sort of thing about Arabs and Muslims all the time and nobody bats an eye.

2 Likes

The future ain’t what it used to be.

I thought Naziism was tried, it failed and we had moved on.

13 Likes

History repeats; what goes around; all fashion is cyclical, etc.

That’s their whole point. We may have moved on but they left themselves behind.

4 Likes

@anothernewbbaccount
“History Repeats” It do, it do. First time as tragedy, second time as farce. Now who was it that said that? …oh yes, it was our old friend Charlie Marx. Everybody ready for another world war?

3 Likes

FixedThatForYa

7 Likes

Fascist repeats are rarely farce. Sadly.

1 Like

It might take a world war to put an end to all this Nazi bullshit.

Oh, right. . . .

2 Likes

And did every one of these <I have insufficient invective> get permabanned from Facebook? No?

Color me surprised.

3 Likes

Surprised only that the station stopped the feed. Antisemitism in France is big, and openly condoned by the government.
Despite what you see in movies glorifying Paris, France is truly of the REAL shithole countries.

So, maybe, 20,000 people made the effort to attend the event at the cemetery, but the “news story” is about the lazy-arse trolls?

4 Likes

Don’t they have anti hate speech laws in France similar to those in Poland or Gremany (in both of these countries people get prosecuted for hate speech on internet forums)? If so, being banned from Facebook should be least of their worries.

Your point is well made, but more generally the fuckwits may not be in Franc and subject to local law. Then again, given it was all probably in French language, I wonder if a single one of them will ever get approached by the police about potential hate speech offences. Not holding my breath.

2 Likes

Oh, thanks for the reminder ! It totally slipped my mind I have a synagogue to burn down tomorrow !

2 Likes

My only surprise is that this was a surprise. Every time an antisemitic act is covered by the media, these trolls appear. Whether it is the same group or an organized trollski farm, or a mix of both, the nature of the internet is its nonlocality. And, as has been pointed out, antisemitism never went away and the current political environment certainly encourages tnem to come out from their holes. In the end, this may be to the good, as they out themselves and are subject to just retribution, as I insist on believing that the current environment is a temporary abberation.

5 Likes