Friday Freak-Out: The Moody Blues' "Ride My See Saw" (1968)

Originally published at: Friday Freak-Out: The Moody Blues' "Ride My See Saw" (1968) - Boing Boing

6 Likes

For those of you who enjoy deeply psychedelic cover versions:

Remember, Bongwater: Listen to it, don’t drink it.

5 Likes

That’s true, but this song was written by John Lodge, and he and Justin Hayward sang vocals on this track, and both are still very much alive.

ETA: Also, while Lodge and Hayward weren’t original members of the band, they joined just like a year or so after the band was formed and all of the music most people associate with the Moody Blues included them. It’s a bit like saying Ringo Starr isn’t an original member of the Beatles. Technically true but completely irrelevant.

11 Likes

Yeah, such an odd note to put on this song and this video! For those who don’t know them, that’s Lodge on bass and Hayward on guitar.

2 Likes

Who are the fuckwits who ignore that the original was in 4:3 aspect ratio and decide to let it stretch horizontally to fill a 16:9 aperture? The uploader? YouTube?

Whoever is responsible deserves to be squashed vertically and stretched horizontally by the same amount, so we can all mock them mercilessly.

(And probably something about lawns.)

1 Like

That was a mostly wonderful thing. Thanks! I love this era of the Moody Blues. I’ve recently been digging into the archives psychedelic rock, and it’s been a fun trip (no pun intended). Here are a few of my favorites:

The Chocolate Watch Band: Voyage of the Trieste
Sam Gopal: Season of the Witch
Pierre Henry: Psyche Rock (May sound familiar)
Tomorrow: 10,000 Words in a Cardboard Box
Sandro Brugnolini: Cromaton

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Great artists and great song!

But does anyone else think this looks lip synced? I mean in the late 60’s, television studio recording just wouldn’t be that great. I swear there’s a chorus there that isn’t on stage. And they just don’t look like they’re really singing.

[ETA] Oh. Look at the YouTube credits. They don’t use the word “re-dubbed”, but that’s how I read this:

LP version with “Departure” intro.
Original video edited and remastered with HQ stereo sound.

It does sound great!

1 Like

I love it when this happens! This song was buried in my brain, I recall hearing it a lot back in the day but would never have been able to identify the title.

1 Like

I saw the Moodys do this song at the Fillmore East and the rest of the LP of course
Too bad I couldn’t upload the photos I took.

3 Likes

Welcome to the BBS!
Post a few more times to get a minimal ‘trust’ level and you can upload whatever you want, I’m sure.

1 Like

Curious did he buy or rent that Tux

Damn, these guys could rock!

Back in the ’60s, my dad had an incredible stereo system … Marantz tube amp and preamp, and Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speaker enclosures!

One of my early albums was Days of Future Passed, and when I was home alone … I cranked that mother!

PDVD_015

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.