'Friday' star Rebecca Black says going viral sucked. 9 years later, she's back

“Gang Fight” always forces it right back out of my head.

Once again, the Bad Lip Reading parody is better than the real thing.

3 Likes

How was YouTube like back then? How was it a different animal?

2 Likes

In a matter of speaking, yes. One song was called Saturday; there about three noteworthy additions on top of that IMHO.

Hedy Lamarr would say the former. Fame is, at best, fabricated & fleeting love and at worst, a curse only slightly better than death.

ETA: Eh, that article doesn’t capture the toll it took on her. She was never really valued for her intellect, only her body and in her later days doggedly pursued one botched plastic surgery after another trying to remain relevant until she looked… not great. She was brilliant, talented and beautiful, but all the world could see was her body. She died alone and very broken when she should have been receiving the highest civilian honors.

13 Likes

IIRC, she made a couple million dollars from that video, soooo… cash them checks, Becky, and keep partyin’ and partyin’ Yeah!

Probably a little of both, with the burden amplified for a young lady. Becoming famous as a kid seems to take quite a toll, and then there’s the misogyny.

8 Likes

Well, kiddo, before Google acquired Youtube and overhauled the algorithm, the business model was more designed towards prompting Youtubers to interact with each other. There was a remix app, and a whole ecosystem for “reply videos”. Eventually the notorious “reply girls” started gaming the system for clicks, and everything went south. Then a failed “integration” with Google+ destroyed what was left of the old community.

Also:
tenor

17 Likes
4 Likes

Is time a thing?

1 Like

Fuck this fucking culture, this fucking evil society. She was 13 year old girl for fuck’s sake. Just a kid with big hopes and dreams.

Glad she’s holding fast despite … well despite the awfulness of human beings.

5 Likes

Interesting bit of info; her Dad’s a veterinarian in Orange County, and a real piece of work.

We’d regularly get clients defecting from his practice.

My understanding is that Dad was one of the main pushers of the internet fame thing (he purchased the infamous billboard etc…).

8 Likes
3 Likes

That doc about Hedy is great, can’t remember the name now. She had to hide her Happy Mutant side.

10 Likes

Bombshell? It’s in my queue.

6 Likes

That’s it. Great stuff, but yeah, sad too.

6 Likes

I suspect few of her critics ever created anything more impressive at age 13, manufactured vanity project or not.

8 Likes

Yeah, that makes no sense. I think she meant nothing is definite.

Distance begets perspective …

unnamed

4 Likes
5 Likes

6 Likes