'Friday' star Rebecca Black says going viral sucked. 9 years later, she's back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/friday-star-rebecca-black.html

3 Likes

Has it always been this bad to be famous, or did the Internet make the process unbearable?

17 Likes

“I always hated the ramifications of blatantly paying for fame so here I am doing it again!”

15 Likes

Back after 9 years? She’s been releasing new songs regularly since Friday.

1 Like

First time I’ve heard that song. Got to say, I’ve heard a lot worse.

4 Likes

I won’t lie, I found the whole thing cringworthy and humorous and enjoyed the insanity of it (Colbert’s cover is genuinely enjoyable).

That being said I don’t think less of this child. I do question the judgement of adults in her life, but I wouldn’t hold her responsible for the nonsense that followed. Now how she responds now that’s she an adult? Sure… but again I’m not going to fault her for trying to make something out of it.

6 Likes

Gotta get down on

9 Likes

my current Favorite Friday song

Still working on those steps for long grocery store lines

8 Likes

Aside: mashups don’t suck. They are rad.

5 Likes
10 Likes

depends on how you got famous what you got famous for.

As I recall, this was originally just a fun vanity project that she got a voucher for as a birthday gift. And then the video went viral mostly because Youtube was a very different beast back then.
Also, the song does have that kind of unfiltered earnestness that holds up surprisingly well over the years.
I was looking for that old analysis by Adina Goldman, and then saw that you linked it at the end of the text:

It’s a pitch-perfect portrayal of a certain kind of tween girl’s fantasy life by an actual 13-year-old girl. It’s the mirror dance with the curling iron. It’s wholesome and direct. It’s exactly what I, at 13, projected being a teenager would be like.

Spot on.

14 Likes

Also, how you handle and manage it. A handful of them have made huge fortunes, one even started from a, umm, home video.

sorry, it has not been long enough yet. check back in 9 more years.

2 Likes

Now I have that song stuck in my head again. Forever.

-Thanks,
Your Brain

2 Likes

I was under the impression that she never went anywhere, i recall other videos where she was a guest and it was mentioned that she was doing videos on youtube. From what i recall she’s kept a good sense of humor about it all and owned it, it must’ve been hard regardless because people on the internet suck but i’m glad she’s still around doing her thing.

4 Likes

Agreed - I’ve heard mashups that are better than the source material.

5 Likes

So Rebecca Black became Matt Mulholland after all?

2 Likes

If “nothing is finite,” then how does “time heal”?

2 Likes

So for four days now?

3 Likes