Fuck Elon Musk (Part 2)

… I suppose if we were using the app we’d never see a domain name or a URL :thinking:

1 Like

Now it’s five apps each consisting of screenshots of text from the other four.

World Wide Web is obsolete.

3 Likes
1 Like

Uh… have you been in Austin traffic lately?

This is not to say that Phony Stark is going to save Austinites with his Boring Company, but only that some of us here in Texas totally see the limits of car-dependent infrastructure and seek positive change.

ETA: That positive change would include competently managed, publicly-owned and -funded mass transit in towns with high density populations, and/or between towns that are regularly connected by short-hop airtravel (I am thinking here of Southwest Airlines’ original Texas Triangle route: Dallas-Houston-San Antonio. And uh yeah: Austin in there somewhere).

ETA2: … preferably by electric rail!

Those of us in Texas who are not true believers in the myth and magic of this man are more than ready to argue for mass transit, a topic of much discussion as it conflicts with the myth and magic of the Texas petro-state itself, which is so independent and boot-strappy and very very “business-friendly” in terms of its regulation of business and environmental “protections” (<— mile-high sarcastic quotes).

ETA: clarifiers, grammar

9 Likes

Hope that works out.

in about a 500 meter radius of me I have tram lines, trains both commuter and intercity and busses. It’s been a decade since I had car and I get a tax break for my commute so my monthly ticket is less then 100€ and that is valid on commuter trains, trams, busses, metro and few ferries 24/7. Most of Finland isn’t anywhere near this good.

8 Likes

A girl can dream.
And really, it’s a matter of political will over here.
It’s not like Texas is a poor state with no industry or zero income. It’s got the dang money. It just hates on its poors, all day, every day.

Dallas has mass transit. It ain’t perfect, but there is DART and it’s not too bad!

Austin is in its infancy… behold [sorry Onebox is not displaying this normally–I can’t figure out why]:

(Please do not get me started on the state of its bus service. It’s constantly begging for money.)

Houston has light rail as well. It’s not highly developed but FWIW:

San Antonio is still just a bus-based mass transit system.

I don’t know if you’ve seen the odd cult-favorite Repo Man but it’s always been one of my favorites, and I am sympathetic with the sentiment here:

6 Likes
1 Like

Galaxy-brain seems to have missed something.

People can avoid ads on X for no price all at. :axe:

4 Likes

Oddly i have kinda bundled in with a slightly similar service: Revolut I pay my wages into a UK bank, but transfer to Revolut for day to day stuff…

Prob not great, but is working for me so far.

But Twitter under Musk: Haha you’d need to pay me to use that service as it stands now.

Dunno if there’s anything interesting past the paywall, Onebox shows more than enough.

If he’s admitting to $19B, it’s worth a lot less.

4 Likes

I also recently did - in the free tier.
For me, living across two counties with a son* in a third one, the exchange rate and commission savings with respect to the bank ones, plus the throw away CCs are worth the hassle of recharging it every now and then.
I ended up using it for all my purchases…more and more dependent on my phone, I know, but convenience, as usual, trumps every other considerations.

*Full disclosure: he works for them, but I swear this is just my honest opinion.

I was never on Twitter, but I now accurately avoid following links to X.
I would not trust EM with a supermarket discount flyer.

Agreed.

He offered too much when he made his initial pitch to purchase Twitter, and I’m thinking it was barely worth $19B then. With both users and advertisers bailing over the past year, I’m thinking X’s worth is easily south of $1B.

4 Likes

Given the difficulties Revolut have been having with obtaining a banking license, Musk’s chaotic dumpster fire formerly known as Twitter would have severe difficulty in getting official sign-off.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Happy Halloween, good Samhain, All Hallow’s Eve, Beggar’s Night, National Knock-Knock Joke Day, etc.

6 Likes

The desperation is just embarrassing at this point.

5 Likes

Buying companies so that he can hit on the employees is getting expensive.

6 Likes

I mean, I thought Twitter already was a dating site. I met both my wife and our girlfriend on there!

7 Likes

Helsingin Sanomat covered billionaire Elon Musk promoting a Finnish presidential debate in English hosted by Aalto Management on the social media website X (formerly Twitter).

On Wednesday, Aalto Management, an organisation of Aalto University students, will host a presidential debate for the upcoming election early next year, which will be streamed live on X.

Musk has one of the largest followings on the social media site X, which he bought last year when it was known as Twitter.

Alexander Warén, Aalto Management’s head of communications, told HS that the organisation’s board wanted X to partner with the event, as this would allow the debate to reach as many people as possible internationally.

“There is a person close to the board who was in direct contact with Elon Musk,” he told the newspaper, adding that Musk shared a post announcing the debate himself without being prompted by the group.

Warén noted that neither Musk nor anyone outside the university played a role in the organisation or content of Wednesday’s debate.

The debate will be broadcast live on X on Wednesday at 6pm entirely in English and feature presidential candidates Alexander Stubb (NCP), Pekka Haavisto (Green), Olli Rehn (Centre), Mika Aaltola and Harry Harkimo (MN).

Candidates not appearing at the debate include Jussi Halla-aho (Finns), Li Andersson (Left) and Sari Essayah (CD), among others.

3 Likes

:confused: