Fuck Today (Part 1)

I have a similar problem when ever I get in a plane (which thankfully isn’t often). The way up, my ears pop easily, on the way down, I usually have a few hours, sometimes a whole day, where I just can’t hear very well, as my ears just won’t pop.

Maybe if it persists for you, go see your doctor?

5 Likes

Have you tried the pulling-down-hard-and-sidewise on the earlobe while rotating your head slowly until you can feel the water start to drain technique?

10 Likes

My 100% south side bank just sent an email stating:

We were built in this area for this area, so we’ve grown up rooting for the Cubs. As life-long fans, there’s nothing that has us more excited than the Cubs in the playoffs. We want our team to go all the way and they need to feel this area’s support to do it!

Talk about tone deaf. I’m actually curious to learn what kind of push-back they get from customers!

8 Likes

Once the White Sox are out aren’t the Cubs your backup team? :wink:

7 Likes

We know better than to waste any hope on them. They always make it just far enough for those fools on the north side to start thinking “this will be the year!” Yeah, no. :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

But this time is different!

6 Likes

When diving in the water, and you are descending, you need to pressure balance your ears early. You equalize on the way down by pinching your nostrils shut and gently blowing air pressure against them to equalize. If you wait too long your eardrums have too much pressure pushing them inwards and it is hard to equalize. Not sure if the same applies to air flight.

Popping on the way up I think you are actually venting your aural canal but I am actually not sure of the mechanism now that I think of it.

5 Likes

Not a fuck today biggie. Just a gripe.

Don’t read the chat on the ISS youtube live streams.

Fucking flat earthers.

12 Likes

Don’t know exactly which side of thing vent where, but I can do a valsalva maneuver voluntarily without having to pinch my nose or blow.

I had a lot of colds in middle school, and I just trained myself to be able to consciously flex my middle ear really well. Feels kind of like a head kegel. Works beautifully in water and air.

2 Likes

Nitpicking in order to give a link for more middle ear stuff in case it’s useful, but that’s not a Valsalva. Sounds more like a BTV.

http://staff.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html

1 Like

Yup, that’s exactly it.

Like I said, it’s like a head-kegel. First I do the muscles for wiggling my ears, then I open my larynx. I can hold it all for maybe 30 seconds before the muscles get shaky and I “lose my grip” on it. But I can drop it and try again pretty much arbitrarily many times.

Oh also when engaged I hear my heartbeat pretty loudly and my breathing as well and can feel my breathing in my ears, so I’d guess that it actually works

4 Likes

Thanks @chgoliz and @Mindysan33

I’ve unfortunately tried all the usual tricks but I think it’s just gonna take time. I’ve already decided I’m not back to 100% by Monday I’ll make an appointment with my ENT.

7 Likes

I think my Schnauzer had a close encounter with a skunk. She’s sleeping and the other dogs aren’t freaking out, but something smells.

I’ll find the baking soda a hydrogen peroxide in the morning.

6 Likes

Was one of the usual tricks a few drops of rubbing alcohol? I find that works when I have persistent water-ear after swimming.

3 Likes

Had to take my fiancee back to Newark airport yesterday so she could fly home. Ten weeks until we next see each other. And, due to accidents (seriously, Jersey. Oy), we missed her flight by twenty minutes, and then had to have the “adventure” of running from place to place to see if we could get her rebooked, which took a “fun” and stress-filled hour and a half. And, since I didn’t want to leave her alone (or really leave her), I stuck around until she had to go through the security check. End result, instead of me leaving Newark by 4:30 as planned to return to Rochester, we didn’t get there until then, and I started the drive home at 7:00. In the dark, for six hours, in an empty car. And it’s way too quiet and empty here now.

21 Likes

I broke my coffee grinder. It fell out of the cupboard, broke off some of the control ring that controls the grind and in trying to glue it back together I evidently broke something electric. So in the bin it goes.

Any good suggestions for a reasonably priced burr grinder?

I might rebuy the model I had (the Bodum burr grinder), but the reviews are mixed and the 20s on/5min off timer was really annoying. I don’t use it that much anyway, so perhaps the Hario Skerton manual one?

8 Likes

Define “reasonably priced”? I like the Capresso 560.01. We’ve had one for two years. It’s still running strong. We’re big coffee drinkers and it’s held up well. It’s under $100 on Amazon and can be found for slightly less elsewhere.

3 Likes

You didn’t say what type of coffee you’re brewing, but here are the two I’ve had luck with.

For a cafetière, pour over, or drip machine I have an old Peugeot that works very well. It does take time for a medium or fine grind, but I kind of like the meditation in the morning, and also hate it when I’m running late.

I picked this up for a little less than the Hario, which is notorious for uneven grinds.

The grinder I use most now is the Baratza Encore which will do a very fine grind; though purists may not find it quite fine enough for espresso, I think it works. It’s survived daily use on our counter for almost two years with no signs of flagging.

It’s pricey at about $120. I lucked out to find one at the thrift store.

I’ve used the Cuisinart burr mill as well, which was great until it wasn’t; it was the second Cuisinart product I had that burned a resistor within two years of purchase.

6 Likes

And @RatMan

Aeropress, Bialetti or Chemex coffee.

Sub-$100 price…

I think I saw that Baratza one recommended.

Thanks!

4 Likes

The Baratza easily grinds fine enough for a moka pot; hunt around to see if you can find a deal. I’m not familiar with the Capresso @RatMan recommended, but I have used some of their coffee makers and they seemed to be of good quality, and falls into your sub-$100 range.

The only annoyance with the Baratza is if not kept fairly clean grounds can get behind the container giving you little messes each time you remove it. Not major, just annoying.

5 Likes