Fuck Today (Part 1)

Officially, that’s the end of our three months’ notice. We should also get to live there during that time, but we agreed to move out earlier because we found the other house so quickly and he wanted to renovate the house before selling it. I’m still not quite sure how it works, but the deposit goes in a dedicated savings account for that purpose and I guess it can only be released at the official end of the rental contract. If every person and company that overcharged us or owes us money paid it back immediately, we’d actually be fine. It should all happen within the next month or two, but it’s just going to be painful until that happens.

ETA: And it’s a good thing we brought our son to the doctor – his oxygen level had gone down to 80%, so going to the doctor today was better than the hospital tonight. He’s on oxygen treatment for the next three days and he should be fine.

10 Likes

*wince* ouch, sorry to hear that one. I know the feeling.

I’m sure there’s other options.

5 Likes

Posts from valued community members disappearing sucks.

21 Likes

I will never live down backing into a pole at least to the kid… I still hear about it some 10 years later now.

6 Likes

Racists apologists, who care more for their tax bills than human life.

11 Likes

Abusers of power.
Victim blamers.
Insufferable douchewads in general.

10 Likes

Gobshites.
Utter twonks.
Cocktrumpets.
Clueless numpties.
Weapons-grade plums.
Witless fucking cocksplats.
Tiny-fingered, Cheeto-faced, ferret-wearing shitgibbon. (Okay, that last one is applicable only to Trump.)

(Thanks, Scotland!)

9 Likes

That always makes me smile; their expletives are so creative.

4 Likes

The best I was ever able to come up with was ‘brainless, hate-spewing maw’. And even that was derived from this brilliant caricature by Mike Monahan:

11 Likes

Just spent 6 hours on what should have been a 1-hour job, replacing the exhaust fan in my laptop. I’ve done this a dozen times in the past on other machines, but for some reason this laptop needs a complete stripdown to get to the fan, and you can’t test the result without putting it at least 50% back together. First time reassembly it didn’t work at all (yikes!), turns out I’d missed a cable now it works but at least 10 degrees hotter than with the old fan, so redo from start try better thermal compound and more careful application now only 5 degrees hotter than I would like. However, at least I’m not getting the fan stoppages that were shutting the machine down.

PS - on shipping, I used to complain how hard it was to get stuffed shipped to me here in Hawaii (with Amazon Prime 2-day delivery they often don’t even process the shipment for a week or two), but we’ve never had the kind of problem with shippers here that we’ve been having with my kid in Chicago. He’s at around 50% success rate on packages actually getting delivered.

12 Likes

If he has any friends who live in buildings with doormen, or if he can get the packages delivered to work, he might have better luck.

3 Likes

He does, just not in Chicago:-)

4 Likes

I do believe I’ve found like one job posting that even remotely fits my field (because the field is basically open). It’s in state, but kind of far away. Two of my friends are likely applying for the same position. One of them should probably get the job over me. The job market for modern Americanists is horrible this year. A street of broken dreams.

VL and then go back on the market next year?

7 Likes

Are you willing to look further afield? You’ve got a large cast of characters here who can give you a heads-up on most parts of the country, and probably at least some of the potential educational institutions.

4 Likes

I’m really looking as local as possible. And from what I’ve seen, there is little out there for modern Americanists. There was an opening at another local college (in the ATL area, even) in the American Studies department (which I think given my focus, I could make that case for being in that department), but they specifically wanted someone doing Latin@ studies… It’s just a bad year, I think. Maybe next year will be better?

But of course, I’d love any advice the academics/academic related folks here have… :wink:

5 Likes

This is like every HP I’ve ever had to work on.

4 Likes

Voluntary Layoff? Leave?

3 Likes

Sorry! Visiting lecturer. It’s a short term appointment, usually with a salary and benefits, but one is only teaching the survey courses. Usually for two years. It’s the most likely job one gets when one wraps up a PhD in a field like history. There are also post-doc positions, which have a similar salary, you’re not usually teaching (except maybe one course) and you can usually use it as a means of furthering one’s research rather than getting into the teaching game. But it usually requires some sort of residency at whatever university one is applying for a post-doc. If I can’t get a tenure track position (either a teaching school, which is far more likely coming out of a school like GSU), then a VL is more likely than a post-doc, I think.

10 Likes

Why not just find a tenure track position?

Laughing with, not at. You’re laughing, right?

12 Likes

That’s what those jobs look like!

14 Likes