Fuck Today (Part 1)

I manage my ulcer-prone digestive system by avoiding onions, peppers, sausages that have any seasoning other than black pepper, tomatoes, oranges, fast food, alcohol, and smoking. Fiber helps. Oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon is a good soothing meal. Probiotic foods like thick yogurt and dill pickles make me feel like I’m “balancing” my gut (probably wishful thinking), but even though sauerkraut is naturally fermented too, the cabbage kills me.
I also have an array of stress-management tricks that sometimes work. Deep yoga breathing, forest sounds on earphones, cold running water on my wrists, etc.
Pay attention to what your body tells you. All the stress of everyday is compounded by the stress of pandemic and politics, and any additional stress on top of that usually breaks something.

14 Likes

We’re in the second week of the semester here, and our registrar’s office is still letting students sign up for my classes. This is bad in the best of times, as I’ve usually covered significant material not in the text by the second week, but this year it is worse: when a student registers I get no notification from anyone, so I had no indication that I needed to let anyone else know things like what the zoom login is, or even that the course is online at all. Today that meant I had a student come to the classroom (despite our lockdown), then to my office, where he couldn’t see my usually effective “go away” scowl through my mask and thought my “move further away” shoo gesture meant “come right into my tiny sealed office”

8 Likes
11 Likes
13 Likes

I just read your link and OMG. How do they evacuate half of the group and tell the remaining that they’ll be back for them, only to forget them?

14 Likes

Academia is a trash pile of privileged assholes masquerading as individuals who give shit for a paycheck and cultural authority…

14 Likes

Sigh

When identity becomes currency, expect counterfeiting.

13 Likes

This reminds me of the Dawes Act court cases and purging of tribal rolls. When reparations are considered by more states, there will probably be more cases like this. :worried:

9 Likes

God, you’re right… Ugh. Wypypo.

peep-show-hans-bullshit

9 Likes
11 Likes
11 Likes

Judge tells man sentenced for hitting Amish buggy to ‘move to the wilderness somewhere and drink yourself to death’

12 Likes

Judge may be correct in this case. He’s been convicted of DUI six times and he injured an entire family and their horse. He was lucky he didn’t kill them!

12 Likes

There has been progress in the past few years to toughen PA laws and penalties for repeat DUI offenders. It’s scary to read how often some people were convicted of this, but were still free to repeat the same offense:

https://www.dailylocal.com/news/local/deanaa-law-bill-imposing-strict-dui-penalties-advances-to-house/article_6b77f1d2-ab34-11ea-9f99-7f4a6f07a7db.html

10 Likes
14 Likes
6 Likes

Covid and their last minute relegation probably caused their demise sooner rather than later, but they were already on borrowed time. Still, I’m far from happy that their financial situation was allowed to happen in the first place

6 Likes
8 Likes

Thinking like individuals. They just can’t fathom what 7 billion people living like that adds up to.

7 Likes

I don’t think my lifestyle is sustainable, because a lot of what can be done as individuals is set up with the assumption that everyone has an able body and mind. A collective approach is required to solve this.

It’s more like 70 million to 1.4 billion.

17 Likes