Fuck Today (Part 1)

This is really horrible.

moody parks and recreation GIF

12 Likes
7 Likes

This morning I have to tell Kiddo that her aunt died last night. Fuck cancer.

27 Likes

I’m so sorry…

queen-elizabeth-fuck-cancer

15 Likes

My very right-wing in-laws arrive tomorrow. It was supposed to be a surprise for Ms. Pane for her birthday, and came with a requirement to get vaccinated before arrival. Been working on this with them for 6 weeks, and it was “yep, we’re working on it. Yep, we’re getting it scheduled.” We are vaccinated, our kids are not (just approved yesterday!!) and we live in a high-risk area. The in-laws told me yesterday that they’re not getting vaccinated, but are coming today anyway,. They also told my wife they were coming, spoiling the surprise and placing some pressure not to cancel. She’s pissed, I’m pissed, and because they are one cog in a larger surprise (the rest of which she doesn’t know about) it’s very difficult to say “stay the fuck away.” Assholes.

So, fuck today, and fuck the next few days. I think I’ll move to Australia.

26 Likes

Yikes. Any chance they can stay in a hotel or something? That sounds like a case where you can play the “My house, my rules” card, though I know how volatile people can get when that kind of card is played.

6 Likes

I wish. For a variety of reasons beyond anyone’s control, it’s not an option. In a further “fuck today,” my f-i-l is the kind of person who likes to make jokes about underlying tensions. So I’m expecting to hear “well, maybe we’ll sit across the room, since we’re not vaccinated, hahahaha!” and not realize why people don’t find that funny.

My brain hurts. lol

18 Likes

Yuck, that sounds horrible. So sorry…
I hope the rest of the surprise is a success and that ms.pane is thrilled.

13 Likes

Thanks. Bringing in a very close brother she hasn’t seen in years. Hopefully that’s not spoiled because that’ll be huge for her.

16 Likes

I’d put some lawn chairs outside and make 'em sit out there. Nobody’s gonna endanger me, dagnabbit.

9 Likes

Ha, yeah, me, too. Set up a tent and give them a bucket. “Thanks or coming, jerks!”

5 Likes

I considered “Hey, welcome! I get that you don’t want to get vaccinated, and I respect that. I’ve sent the grandkids to go stay with my parents while you’re here. Cheers!”

15 Likes

May I suggest finding the room in your budget to put them up in a local motel instead of your home? Sucks that you would have to foot the bill, but it’s better than sharing indoor space with them 24/7, and would send a message.

5 Likes

Ah, I’ve read further. Can you leave all the windows open in your home the entire time they’re there, and always sit outside whenever possible?

8 Likes

Interesting. I was going to go with “drink a lot of bourbon and scowl.” But your idea has merit.

19 Likes

Haha, I wasn’t sure if you were game, but my very first thought was to ask if you had any edibles or a good supply of bourbon.
I feel like I’m just finally crawling out of my T and COVID-induced funk, and I can’t imagine dealing with such a visit without copious amounts of bourbon.
and bonus - bourbon goes well even in coffee!
Maybe if you think of collecting all the crazy-ass things the FiL says to share here it will make it slightly less painful to live through. Like an anthropologist…a slightly drunk and scowling anthropologist.

3 Likes
10 Likes

I don’t know the details of your situation, but if you have (unvaccinated) children then you have every right to prioritize their health. In your shoes I would pack up the kids, get in a car, and simply not be home when the potential disease carriers arrived, and damn any consequences to family relationships. This might spoil a surprise for your wife, but so would a kid with long covid.

9 Likes

Horrible, terrible, no good, very bad in-laws.

8 Likes

@anon33932455 might find this of interest too…

10 Likes