Fuck Today (Part 1)

14 Likes

@wrecksdart called me the worst/wurst? Howā€™s that?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty accurate illustration of a graduate student, Iā€™d say.

2 Likes

Totally! The further away from something you get the larger it becomes! Right?
Thats how perspective works! Totally!

4 Likes

I think itā€™s more like thisā€¦

8 Likes

Ā  Ā  ^-- the worst

1 Like

Tell her straight.

1 Like

Nah. One of my kitties is usually called ā€œlittle bitty girlā€. She is indeed a small female cat.

3 Likes

I think the proper usage is Mr. ā€œTheā€ Cat actually. I know it makes no difference to my cats though.

Only the tin opener gets any response.

3 Likes

i always laugh when i open say a tin of pumpkin puree and they come running in, only to be extremely disappointed.

11 Likes

My mildly feral street rescue cat will actually tuck into tinned soup when opened.

And has made friends with the birdā€¦

5 Likes

Pretty muchā€¦

3 Likes

9 Likes

YES. Because what you did was self-correct and pinpoint your own perception of error. Thatā€™s critical. But leave the professor out of it for a minute. You said you want to master MS for yourself, not just because you want to ace an exam. Thatā€™s fantastic.

I asked a high school kid I know, so whatā€™s your favorite subject in school? He said, ā€œNone of them. They all suck.ā€ Which I thought was awesome, because in order to make that statement it does require a modicum of self reflection. The way that he has been presented material has shown him that he doesnā€™t like any of the fucking material. YOU, on the other hand, have stated very plainly that you like this particular material.

What does all this mean in terms of learning? As a developer, technician, statistician, analyst, epidemiologist and educator, I know that all learning is auto didactic. All. After about age 13, nobody ever teaches you nuthin. Everything you have, you gave to yourself.

So if you want to learn MS, do you have free access to the lab? What about buying a cheap perhaps older spectrometer to mess around with? How could you best facilitate your own ability to play with MS, make lots of mistakes, selfā€“correct, and go at your own pace at learning an art that you want to know? Because I know from watching others do it and doing it myself, that play is when you really learn. Memorizing shit for an exam is hardly playtime.

In my book, noodling around and playing with stuff, making mistakes, correcting them, aiming at a goal and eventually getting it is the best way to learn, and divorced from all timelines or external crap that others have imposed on me. It has to be free play and exploration.

Hope that helps.

6 Likes

6 Likes

No way, Iā€™ve taught both undergrads and grads and a much bigger proportion of undergrads are weasely little shriveled troglodytes that escaped from their soggy cardboard boxes. Of course, with stellar exceptions who are a complete pleasure to work with.

2 Likes

The medical nonsense Iā€™ve been dealing with since fucking April isnā€™t getting better, and is just getting more and more confusing. To say that Iā€™m frustrated would be putting it lightly.

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œChickieD, post:30, topic:67545, full:trueā€]
I like your star
[/quot

I donā€™t have access to any labs. Iā€™ve been steadily acquiring things for my own home lab, but realistically? MS technology might as well be enriched plutonium for all of my ability to get my hands on it. You might be thinking of spectrophotometry? Itā€™s the price of a new car. In theory, I understand it the physics behind it, and in theory I could build one, but by the time I learn what I need to know about circuitry and calibration of precision instruments, I may as well have gotten another degree in engineering.

That said, getting a bunch of them to read and practice on might not be as hard as I thought. I can just download a bunch of literature spectra and cover the answers.

3 Likes

What about this old thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-G1800A-GCD-SERIES-GAS-CHROMATOGRAPH-MASS-SPECTROMETER-GCMS-EPC-DETECTOR-5890-/331678162499?hash=item4d398f1e43:g:ROEAAOSwl8NVekFp

2 Likes

ā€¦ youā€™re a kitty?

3 Likes