Fuck Today (Part 1)

My step-daughter is allergic to peanuts, but almond butter is OK.

3 Likes

Come quick cheesy man theres a prowler in the maturing caves!!!

3 Likes

I missed out on getting the new Manic Street Preachers signed CD, because I try not to buy anything that isnā€™t essential when Iā€™m mentally ill.

Yes, I can buy it as an MP3 from Amazon, but it just isnā€™t the same.

5 Likes

How the hell did I just like that?

8 Likes

Almonds are actually drupes, not tree nuts, so itā€™s a great alternative for most people.

7 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s true about Almonds.

But try to explain that to the underpaid/underqualified daycare staff at this joint.

Weā€™re on a ā€œnothing that so much as looks like nut butterā€ diet for school lunches now.

8 Likes

One of my children had a boy in her class for 3 straight years (until the school finally managed to convince the parents that he needed to go elsewhere) who was supposedly allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, seeds, and soy to such an extent that no one who entered the classroom (including parents) could have them on their breath from eating them at breakfast. And of course nothing in the lunches could have any of that, either. Well, this kid of mine didnā€™t like to eat sandwiches, she preferred leftovers from the night before. And weā€™re vegetarian. The other mother actually told me to my face that our entire family could not eat a significant portion of the recipes that we might normally have for dinner, because it would be on our breath in the morning and in the lunch box. I tried to explain that other than the peanut allergy, the rest would be a problem for him only if he actually touched or ate the food. Nope. I still canā€™t believe the school let this go on for 3 years before finally standing up to them.

15 Likes

You have my deepest sympathy, although once again weā€™re coming at this from the opposite ends of the same spectrum. I still have more grief over the suicides than the murders. But it all sucks. Hang in there.

7 Likes

Our dog is very sick (probably dying), and really hates to take pills, and has developed the trick of going immediately off any food she determines has been used as a pill delivery device. In other words, every time I give her a pill I have to come up with a new food. Among the things she has decided in the last few days she will not eat any more are cheese (cheddar, Havarti, goat, cottage, cream, mozzarella fresca), liverwurst, peanut butter, tuna, egg, ground beef, filet mignon (tonightā€™s desperation), and a variety of baked goods. Iā€™m fast running out of ideas.

12 Likes

Potatoes. Ice cream.

5 Likes

my sister is rather successful with hiding drugs for her dog in tripe and other kind of offals

7 Likes

I appreciate the suggestions; we gave up on potatoes and ice cream years ago as too soft, she just sucks the food off and spits the pill out. (She did that with the cottage cheese this time, too.) I donā€™t even know where Iā€™d find tripe, but liver was on my shopping list for tomorrow.

6 Likes

what about powdered pills in a delicious soft ā€œpackingā€?

5 Likes

That was how I gave her the pill in the ground beef, but the 2nd time she sniffed and turned away; these pills must be really bitter. If I could get something strongly aromatic to mask the taste, something like a Sri Lankan curry mixed in with mashed potatoes and ground pill, that might work. Iā€™ll see what I can find in the neighborhood tomorrow.

4 Likes

pill powder in aspic? as odour barrier?

7 Likes

Thatā€™s a cool idea. However, it has never been more obvious than from your food suggestions that you are not in the US. While I think I know where I might be able to find some tripe, meat jelly is going to take some serious thought.

6 Likes

ha, I didnā€™t think about procurement : )

while I donā€™t like aspic and offals (scratch that. I hate them. itā€™s not food) every better butcherā€™s shop sells them here or can organise it within a few days.

eta pieces of meat in standard gelatin would work, too. gelatin sheets are sold in the US regularly?

5 Likes

hotdog

4 Likes

No sheets (that I know of), but you can buy gelatin powder and make it yourself.

And remember, weā€™re a land of immigrants: all it takes for finding Old World meat choices is finding the local German or Italian (etc.) butcher, for example. With a few notable exceptions, of course, which is why no Haggis yet.

5 Likes

Lady Bevel is in animal medicine.

We usually have dogs, and for years I watched with envy her technique of opening the dogā€™s mouth wide, tucking the pill back behind its tongue, and snapping the jaws shut, forcing the beast to swallow.

I can just about do it myself now.

10 Likes