Fuck Today (Part 1)

Yes, absolutely! You don’t even need a rice cooker with fancy settings. I have this very simple and inexpensive one (I’ve seen it on sale at a big brick store for $15 + tax), and I cook whole grain brown rice in it several times a week.

The settings on mine are simply “on” and “warm”. You put in the usual amount of rice and water that you would use on a stovetop [1 cup uncooked brown rice to 2.5 cups water], turn it on, and when it’s done cooking it switches to “warm”. (But how does it know how long to cook the rice, if you don’t set any timer? It has a heating element and a temperature sensor. As long as there’s still some water boiling, the temperature won’t go above 212F. But once the rice is fully cooked and all the water has been absorbed, the temperature starts rising, so then the sensor tells it to switch over to “warm”.)

It makes perfect brown rice, every time. One of my siblings has a different, more expensive rice cooker with fancy settings, and they can’t seem to get their brown rice to come out right. I advocate the simple ones! I’ve had mine for years, still going strong.

Also really great for quinoa. My quinoa never came out right until I started making it in my rice cooker. Now it’s perfect every time.

And…this has gone a ways off the main topic, I’m afraid! [See zfirphdn’s law (also known as Codwin’s law): All BB bbs threads, if left to go on long enough, will inevitably turn to discussion of food.] :smile:

10 Likes