Fuck Today (Part 1)

Back to work I go.

9 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m so sorry. What a shock. I wish you and your family all the best nowā€¦

ā€¦and yes, fuck cancer.

13 Likes

Excuse me for not seeing this earlier.
Three in a year is brutal. Deana Martin lost her brother and mom in her birthday month, ten days apart.

My uncle died a month before I joined the board, of cancer, two days after he entered hospice. In a way I can relate.

But three deaths in one year is brutal. Thatā€™s gotta stop.

17 Likes

Not a family member, but author W.P. ā€œShoeless Joeā€ Kinsella just died. I also liked the film version, visited and hit a ball in said field, and liked ā€œThe Iowa Baseball Confederacyā€.

8 Likes

Awww. Nice Guy. Got to meet him once ā€“ my lit prof was a friend of his and invited the class out to meet him over a drink (the book was out, but the movie wasnā€™t made until a few years later).

8 Likes

@JemmieDuffs also posted in another thread yesterday, with a personal note

7 Likes

Damn.

Of the ten excellent authors who were mentioned in the 1993 song ā€œMy Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors,ā€ only three are now yet living: bell hooks, Michael Ondaantje, and Margaret Atwood. The other seven (Gabriel Garcia Marquez, William S. Burroughs, Pierre Berton, Mario Puzo, W.P. Kinsella, Robertson Davies, and Doris Lessing) have all passed away since the song was recorded.

That song, as upbeat and funny as the music and lyrics are, is starting to get really sad.

9 Likes

And my back is out. Again. Sitting up right in a chair at a table is apparently dangerous. Only lounging from now on.

Seriously getting older sucks!

18 Likes

Standing desk?
Iā€™ve used one off and on for a few years. I dunno if itā€™s the panacea some make it out to be, but itā€™s at least a changeā€¦

6 Likes

I donā€™t have that kind of job. And i only ever seem to do this when Iā€™m at homeā€¦

Off to the osteo and chiro for me!

5 Likes

I did this last week, so I bought one of those massage rollers and that seems to help. I could go to a professional, but it takes so long when you have other things to do. I really miss the cheap massages we could get in China though, they were just around the corner so it took very little time.

I find switching between a standing and sitting desk helps too.

8 Likes

Saw a friend tonight at a school function. Sheā€™s one of those people who always has a smile, always makes you feel good. We promised weā€™d get together soon (and we will). After the event, she proceeded to email me with the info she didnā€™t want to reveal at a public event: her husband has head/neck cancer. Her mother died of breast cancer (fortunately, old enough to have known her grandchildren). Her daughter had such a severe concussion that she lost a year of school. And now this. Sheā€™s such a loving, kind person itā€™s proof-positive that thereā€™s no such thing as a merciful god.

28 Likes

[spoiler]**This** from a comic that Charles Schulz once described as a potential cause of diabetes.[/spoiler]
12 Likes

God damn it.
I lost my monthly commuter rail pass.
This week/month has not been my best.

14 Likes

Stood in a receiving line for about 9 hours, cried at the drop of a bagpipe, many inappropriate jokes were had, reconnected with tons of cousins who live elsewhere.

The woman was a giant and weā€™ll never see her like again, though. Hopefully, her story will get told one day soon.

22 Likes

Thanks. The funeral helped, but these deaths always leave holes and regrets.

10 Likes

Beats the alternative!

17 Likes

But Benjamin Button was so poignant!

Actually, Iā€™ve never seen it, but that would ruin the joke.

12 Likes

I accidentally bought coffee from a religious group. Because Starbucks was closed and I needed caffeine.
I didnā€™t know they were all about ā€œbrining glory to Jesusā€ when I bought the coffee, but Iā€™d have passed if Iā€™d known.
Minor, yes, but another drop in the bucket of shit that is my week.

16 Likes

Something for the fermenting thread?

8 Likes