Fuck Today (Part 1)

It’s 3:00 AM. Working.

9 Likes

Diversity themed yard signs are being stolen/removed in my neighborhood. There is just no limit to assholery.

11 Likes

A friend’s boyfriend got shot (he’ll be OK, but they can’t get the bullet out of his bone). She’s about two weeks shy of giving birth to their first child.

She’s strong, so she’s handling it, but she shouldn’t have to.

20 Likes

How or why did he get shot?

Not that it matters, it’s just scary to think about.

6 Likes

FIFA really need to look into why footballers keep having heart attacks while young, if they can spare a moment from being corrupt.

10 Likes

I don’t know. I didn’t ask. My guess is either in the process of being mugged or else being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

At least it wasn’t the police.

9 Likes

When I was 12, I was at my grandparents’ in Cicero watching TV and a bullet came right through the living room. That was the closest I’ve ever come to getting shot.

6 Likes

Yikes! So glad it didn’t hit you.

8 Likes

Had to kill a rat with a shovel in my driveway at 3AM last night, to put it out of its misery. Following that I had quite a lot to drink. Today I feel shitty on several levels.

15 Likes

I can relate. Had to do something like this once to a dog which ran out of the bushes into the car I was driving.
Most people don’t care about rats, at all. Even if it feels shit, I commend you on the fact that you care.

10 Likes

Last time this happened to me, it was a mountain lion. I wasn’t going to chase after it. I called Animal Control, but they didn’t want any of it either.

8 Likes

Deer, generally, in my neighborhood. They get hit on the road in front of my house all the time.

5 Likes

Friend of mine died from aggressive liver cancer yesterday. He’s no longer suffering, but his family are. My heart goes out to them.

16 Likes

I just got released from hospital. Spent a week there getting treated for a massive DVT. Blood thinners are my life now.

20 Likes

Sorry for that.

8 Likes

A friend of mine has this right now too. He got it/condition worsened on a flight back from Australia. He’s lucky to be alive. Get well soon, XantheStone!!!

8 Likes

Well, I’m glad to hear you’re both out, and alive (on an ongoing basis), but I’m sorry to hear about what’s happened.

8 Likes

And for what it’s worth, sorry to hear about their loss and (while your perspective does you credit), your loss too.

7 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

I get occasional disabling migraines. In medical terms I have very severe “classic migraine with aura”.

When they happen in the daytime, while I’m awake, I detect the aura and preemptively take triptan drugs, which prevent the migraine from completely manifesting, and all is well. Generally I start with 50mg and take an additional 25 to 50 mg at two hour intervals for six hours. Sometimes I have to take more or less, sometimes the migraine lasts less than six hours.

When they happen in the nighttime, I wake up in obliterating pain, with my muscles contracted into knots and my vision full of artifacts, my mind unable to process properly. My eyes run and sometimes my nose bleeds, and I cannot tolerate light, sound or questions. I have little sense of balance and can’t feel much past the migraine, so if I accidentally cut myself I could potentially bleed out.

Triptans don’t work for me unless taken preemptively, in the aura stage, so they won’t work at night. Four doctors and a neurologist have had me try dozens of other drugs, many of them extremely expensive, over the 35+ years I have had this hereditary condition, with very little success. What does work - reliably and safely - is codeine and aspirin. Despite having codeine prescriptions for decades, I have never become addicted. I used to get a bottle of 60 pills with a single phone call, and that would last me two to four years.

But the United States has declared war on safe effective painkillers, so my family doctor no longer prescribes them. Instead I was referred to the neurologist, who ran me through a whole lot more drugs (some at $400 per dose) to no avail. And now the state has revoked my neurologists’ ability to prescribe “opioids”. So my choices include:

• Having botox injected directly into my brain. Not kidding, they want to do this.
  • Finding a local heroin dealer. This is obviously what the government would prefer.
  • Sumaptriptan autoinjectors, at $500 a scrip, which might possibly work.

So anyway I’ve heard Canada is very nice? I even hear the Canadian government is not trying to force taxpaying, productive citizens into heroin dependency, which would also be nice.

19 Likes