Fuck Today (Part 1)

These are trollies. True intellectuals don’t feel the need to turn everything into a pissing contest. What you’re experiencing is the mediocrity of the masses.

7 Likes

multiplied by the effects of going to the gas station for calamine lotion!

I don’t go to reddit for rationality or long form thought. That’s a rare commodity, and not much respected by those who don’t enjoy it.

2 Likes

May the amateur sysadmin who thought having 147 domian controllers in a domain that has not even 1000 users and just under 200 servers never cross my path.

The more I look at this mess I have to support the more I want to nuke it from orbit and make something that works.

ETA Windows so easy it can be administered by idiots and often is and I so wish that wasn’t true.

12 Likes

Someone needs to go visit an academic conference sometime! Of course, one can be an “intellectual” and a trolley.

14 Likes

Indeed. I’d mostly kept myself to /r/warframe, writingprompts, and a few other spots. I’ve been needing help with writing so ‘oh hey visit /r/writing.’

I end up getting essentially run out with the mods going ‘i see nothing wrong here other than you acting like an ass.’ I won’t deny my part in this but seeing the round robin and nobody thinking ‘hey maybe we should stop since this is a feedback loop’ just pretty much made me abandon the account. Given Twine abandoned its own forum in favor of reddit along with a few other places this is annoying. Because I basically stay stressed and ‘oh hey we don’t care we’re going to mock you relentlessly.’

It does not leave me in good sorts.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t sound like it. I’m sorry.

1 Like

Fuck Today. Yesterday was bad enough, fuck today.

So I really don’t know where to start with this, but here goes- yesterday morning Luke was acting really strange, not his usual self. By evening he was having a real hard time standing on his hind legs, so we took him to emergency, and were given a scary, but hopeful prognosis. He was diagnosed with IVDD, a spinal/vertebral disorder, and the doc believed that with meds and a month of bed rest that he should be pretty much back to normal.

Fast forward to this morning, we wake and he has absolutely no strength in his back legs at all, and was clearly in a lot of pain, so we took him back to the hospital. Now they are saying that he has a ruptured disc, and without emergency surgery will be permanently paralyzed in his hind legs.

We don’t know what to do. The surgery estimate we were given is $8-10k. If he doesn’t have surgery the doc is not optimistic about his quality of life going forward. If you could meet Luke, you’d know what a crazy bundle of love, joy, and pure energy he is, and we can’t fathom him in a life of pain. We are stuck at the hospital while he is sedated, trying anything we can to get him the help he needs.

It feels really strange and naked to be posting like this, but we’re stressed out and I don’t know what else to do.

17 Likes

I’m so sorry. These decisions are never easy. I hope it all works out for you guys.

10 Likes

It was absolutely gut wrenching. Ag the last moment we cobbles together enough to make the down payment à thanks t wonderful friends and family, so we’ve gotten him into surgery. We were moments away from having to put him down when the news came in. Adrenaline is still coursing thru my body so I haven’t processed it all, but what I know is that I was nearly in a position to lose my best friend.

14 Likes

I’m sorry. I’m glad you got the money, though. Let us know how it goes.

13 Likes

So glad you got the money

10 Likes

:dizzy_face:

The fuck? Do you even need more than, say, 2 domain controllers with an environment like that?

5 Likes

There are remote site servers but still no more than one read only controller at those sites for the local users to have proper access if things go wrong with the network.

But yes 1 and 1 for failover is pretty much all that is needed.

ETA I had to ditch finally seeing Wonder Woman today to power back on a server because whoever was here before me let licenses expire so it shut down after it detected some thing or another. I tried all 3 keys from a list that are supposed to be good but i can’t get it to activate.

I will make up for it by taking off early later on in the week when someone can cover for the afternoon and go see it.

4 Likes

He’s in surgery right now. Our fingers are of course still crossed, but the staff informed us that the surgical team had plenty of pizza before they got to work, so we are hopefully optimistic!

10 Likes

My partner and I are some of the luckiest humans there are. Our friends and family are everything to us, and they really really came through for us today. I’m still shaking, and I imagine I’ll still feel trepidation until he is back home with us. My heart is full to bursting and merely hours ago I though it was broken. What a day (which is not over yet) but we’re in a positive space now, which I think is the best we can possibly do.

12 Likes

that IS a good sign

8 Likes

This is a dog, yes? Because otherwise the posts are disturbing…

Upthread I mentioned that our dog had sudden serious medical issues and was give a few days to live. This was April 2016. Well, she finally passed away this summer, 15 months later. Unfortunately, my wife and I were spending the month in California, leaving our son to house/dogsit. This was very hard on him, not only her death while he was alone but also having to deal with our vet, who was not helpful; the day before she died he brought her in and the vet blew off his concerns and just gave him some tranqs for her.

We’re back home now, and it is hard to get out of the habit of closing the fence gate and opening the dog door. And neighborhood feral cats have already started invading the yard.

8 Likes

Best of luck. I know how hard this can be.

7 Likes

I woke up yesterday with my knee in a lot of pain, today I have a bruise coming up yet I have no recollection of doing anything to it.

No, I don’t drink alcohol, except on special occasions.

I’m going to see if it gets better on it’s own over the weekend, if it doesn’t then it looks like I’m going to the doctors about it, not that I expect much to happen because I’m already on reasonably strong painkillers.

7 Likes

Fuck this week, and my job.
Two days ago, my boss got nervous on a deadline (30th of Sept) and started panicking. I’ve been working on a project including a GIS which stores most of the data in fucking shapefiles (because my database skills are not really active knowledge and I couldn’t learn spatialite on the fly).
Since multiple people on multiple computers with multiple versions of QGIS worked on this, the data is bound to be shit, but I did my best to automate everything. From the beginning I planned to create a report solution using knitr, but now we’re back to word serial documents from an excel-file I scobbled (i know this isnt a word but it fits) together from the fucking dbase-files.

7 Likes