Fucking NY Times (and WaPo assholes)

Was just gonna say cos that’s a strategy that worked so very well for the Labour party.

Centrists will always appease fascists rather than stick up for principles they actually only give lip service to.

9 Likes

The reverse “he was no angel”.

16 Likes

You’ve gotta give it to him: he played the role of police officer to a “T”.

14 Likes

And he certainly was no medic. :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Animated GIF

4 Likes

Hello NYT, welcome to “Don’t recommend channel”

4 Likes

I keep seeing this pop up… how bad is it?

2 Likes

It’s not that bad. He basically points out that democrats in states with both a democratic congress and governor are still pandering to nimbyism and the like. Three points:

1. California doesn’t fix housing issues.
  2. Washington has a regressive income tax.
  3. Illinois doesn’t distribute education funds equitably.

All three are legitimate. The only question is whether people interpret the tone to mean “don’t vote democrat” rather than “advocate for democrats to change these policies” and he doesn’t make an effort to really make sure that you come up with the latter. So not that bad but still bad.

6 Likes

Except…that’s still conservative hypocrisy. It’s just not GOP tear-down-democracy conservativism, it’s Dem establishment conservatism.

10 Likes

Nah, it was a hack piece. They:

1. Define liberal as DNC.
  2. Choose states with a DNC gov + DNC majority state senate/house, without considering the local nuances or historic balance of power.
  3. Use fucking Palo Alto as an example of liberals being okay with housing inequality when it is in their backyard. Are the residents of Palo Alto in any way representative of the majority of the DNC party?
  4. Ignore the outsized influence of money in politics so they can dunk on “liberals”

That is about as many thoughts as I had before I got fed up and decided I would rather jab myself in the eyes with a rusty fork than watch another frame of it. 0/10 - do not recommend.

10 Likes

No, but they are a pretty good example of a community of people who are “liberal” rather than just Dem but are also nimbies who vote for policies such that the people who work in the grocery stores there can’t afford to live there. While I agree with pretty much all your points, there is still a lot of white upper middle class liberal hypocrisy out there that does enable a great deal of injustice.

3 Likes

d&d nerd GIF

7 Likes
9 Likes

Maybe that’s the only way ‘all the news that’s fit to print’ learned the technique was an option?

6 Likes

I like the headline on this. “Here’s the Best Strike for Most People” perfectly parodies the Wirecutter’s wording of choice.

(They seem more reliable than the usual Springfield Shopper type columns, but it could be that the writing style is just a softer sell.)

Anyway, I’ll be sure not to use their links this weekend.

1 Like

Thread

11 Likes

Thank you: that was a solid bit of journalistic reporting. Too bad it wasn’t by the ‘paper of record’, which apparently is incapable of professionalism!

10 Likes

the nyt claiming that the cops solved 90% of all murders before covid!? a heavily copganda article - that’s almost to be expected - but lying about such easily verifiable numbers?

several people deserve to be out of a job

the clearance rate for murder nationally is 60% ish. 90% would be miracle levels. and clearance doesn’t even mean they solved it. at best it’s an indication they arrested someone, not even that the person was found guilty - and it also includes cases closed for other reasons.

( in the 1960s the claimed closure rate was 90% but given the propensity for police to charge the wrong person, especially before dna analysis; and likely changes in reporting methods - i suspect that number is garbage. )

12 Likes

there was a great article linked in that thread ( which sadly was written last month, so clearly the nyt is learning nothing )

13 Likes
8 Likes