Fucking NY Times (and WaPo assholes)

12 Likes

Or, maybe life, government and politics are complicated and the honest smart answer is often complicated.

7 Likes

These guys need to be much more specific about the answers they want from both candidates. She gave an answer. But for some reason you didn’t like it. You seem to want a 400 page position paper on every issue- when the candidates job is to provide a vision.

Funny how there’s no “he doesn’t answer questions” headlines about Donnie.

7 Likes

No, the smart answer is a really simple gush of racist bullshit.

NYT is perfectly good with critiquing nuance, they don’t engage with fascism. They just point at it and go “interesting”.

Like “Paedo Guy”.

6 Likes

Donald “I know more about electric boats than anyone” has answers, simple ones, but they’re often simplistic, nonsensical and wrong. He’ll cure the economy with tariffs, cure immigration with a wall, prevent forest fires by raking, and bring about peace in the Middle East/Europe/Inner cities by threatening to bomb the hell out of everyone. Which gets more eyeballs on it than nuance, so they lead with that.

4 Likes

NYT appears to be catering to the following demographic:

Or, perhaps they have been trying to create this demographic.

(wish there were a Fuckin’ WaPo thread as well, since they have been as bad or worse lately. I killed my NYT subscription when Biden dropped out, and WaPo may be next)

7 Likes

Thread updated to include these supposed “Flagship Papers of Record” in title.

10 Likes

3 Likes

When newspapers brag about being long-established, remember that the oldest paper in New York is the Post.

9 Likes

In a more positive comparison- the Philadelphia Inquirer is older than both the NYT & the WaPo.

I think the oldest continuously published newspaper in the U.S. is the Hartford Courant - screw you NY Post!

7 Likes

I suggested that we could start a Fuck the Grauniad thread at one point, but I never did it.

The US branch of the Guardian are OK though, so they probably don’t belong here. It’s just the UK original that has become infuriating at best.

6 Likes

I propose we start a Fucking <insert your local “paper of record” here>

Thread. I occasionally trespass here with some Fucking Irish Times bullshit which seems similar.

5 Likes

@the_borderer & @robertmckenna

As you wish!

4 Likes

… or somebody could unlock Fucking Corporate Media

3 Likes

That’s always the concern in cladistics - do you lump everything together or do some subjects deserve their own attention?

I learn towards having some specific focuses at some times.

2 Likes

Eating broken glass to own the lib (without a hint of irony from a magat near you)

Ah, I had created:

To allow a space for those of us with TV channels of record to have a place to comment about them. RTE and the Irish times for example have a similar kind of bothsiderism, a knowing arch tone, scolding and superior.

In point of fact when you take a corpus of text from, say, the NYT, the Grauniad, the Sydney Morning Herald, and the Irish Times it is, in aggregate, the exact fucking same thing.

It’s the same vocabulary with some little local colour. It’s the same proportion of verbs, adverbs, and nouns. It’s the same reading level. It is the language of Seious News for Serious People. And that language is as without fear or favour as the law herself (who in its blessed majesty forbids the rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to steal bread etc.)
ETA
Editing went way awry and deleted a chunk in the middle. I think it’s back being vaguely comprehensible.

3 Likes

Oops. I’ll see if I can close the other one. Don’t know how that’s done. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

11 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes