Fucking NY Times

So tiring.

11 Likes

Game recognizes game?
Billionaires brilliantly being served by their media organ serfs?
“Manufacturing consent”?

12 Likes

Oh, you know… internal discussions, pep talks, evening prayer, meeting Donald Trump in person…

8 Likes

Y’know, now that @Mindysan33 has posted that “where is my middle finger emoji!?!?” image, it’s really hard for me to resist reposting it every time I want to reply to anything in this thread.

:woman_facepalming:t4:

12 Likes
8 Likes

I’m starting to get just as angry at the folks who keep writing things like this…

Nearly 10 years after Trump declared his candidacy in 2015, the media has not figured out how to cover him.

…or this…

And what’s more — what’s worse — they don’t seem to want to change. Editors and reporters, with a few exceptions, really don’t see the problem as they normalize Trump. Nor do they appear to listen to valid criticism. They may not even be aware of it, or may think, “well, when both sides are mad at us, we must be doing it right.” Maybe they simply fear being labeled liberal.

This is not an issue of professionals incapable of figuring something out. These mainstream media outlets are not full of clueless, bumbling newbies at editing and reporting, either. Ten years in, it should be obvious to everyone that this is on purpose, they are doing it because they’ve abandoned accuracy in pursuit of profit, and the only ways to make it stop would be a takeover by an organization interested in ethics and integrity - or do drive this outlet out of business.

Once the observation has been made that those involved have no interest in changing, that’s the point at which the rest of the industry should stop beating this issue to death and walk away. Time and effort would be better spent on providing coverage that calls out lies, misinformation, or half-truths and paying no attention to those intent on flooding the zone and normalizing fascists. We’re already seeing too many click-seeking outlets that used to be objective deciding to join the others wallowing in the muck instead of remaining above it.

18 Likes

Check This Out GIF

6 Likes

11 Likes
8 Likes

4 Likes

/looks at @sqlrob’s avatar. yup. checks out.

1 Like

7 Likes

I’m glad Ross Douthat thinks so, but I really want Thomas Friedman to declare him the winner before I stop worrying about the possibility.

9 Likes

Both sides!

BOTH SIDES!

BOTH SIDES, DAMN IT!

10 Likes
5 Likes
11 Likes

Really? Now, he’s crossed an unacceptable line? He crossed this very same line when he came down that escalator 9 years ago and called Mexicans murderers and rapists. This isn’t a new tactic for him. At all.

16 Likes

yeah. in fact, i think he’s never crossed it. he was born on that side of the line, and has been trying to annex all surrounding property. using the office of the president, and a sharpie

9 Likes
11 Likes

And he’s the editor of another longstanding, “respectable” publication, The National Review. He should be forced to resign, but having heard the clip, I’m pretty sure conservatives and corporate media hacks will let his racism slide (again), as he denies he actually said it.

9 Likes