Fully intact Burger King discovered behind wall at Delaware shopping mall

Originally published at: Fully intact Burger King discovered behind wall at Delaware shopping mall | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Time to change the oil in the fryer?

26 Likes

That ceiling fan is definitely a period piece.

10 Likes

Another deep question answered!

index

18 Likes

I hope that disturbing the crypt does not anger the original Marvelous Magical Burger King himself

Or, worse, his later plastic manifestation.

9 Likes

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it! Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture. This place is not a place of honor… no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here…

34 Likes

Yeah, that’s the only thing that seems remotely dated from a fast food decor perspective. This could have been boarded up 5 years ago. They have the self-serve soda machines so it can’t be too ancient.

8 Likes

"My name is Burger King, King of Burgers;

Look on my menu, ye hungry, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that forgotten store, dusty and bare

The lone and sticky floor tiles stretch far away.”

Edited for added atmosphere. I’m sure that Shelley had a few goes when composing the original.

37 Likes

There’s video:

14 Likes

It’s actually pretty typical for malls to put up a fake wall in front of vacated stores. Anyone who has frequented a dead/dying mall has probably seen similar.

13 Likes

“Onion rings. Why did it have to be onion rings?”

18 Likes

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

11 Likes

I’ve come to realize that TV advertising for Burger King and other fast food franchises has created an obesity and poor health crisis in America. Anyone recognize this contributor?

2 Likes

The food is the trap, you fools!!

8 Likes

Also the tables seem to be wooden, which means that it was probabaly at least from the 1990s. Burger Kings tended to use plastic furniture in the 1970s and 1980s at least.

6 Likes

I was posting something similar. Well, it is possible that the mall would have had rules like nope nope nope on plastic furniture. It has a 1979-80 video arcade vibe with those angular patterns and the pastels go early to mid 80s maybe - miami vice and patrick nagel. I love that narrative - Gen Z is TERRIFIED!

I want a Stranger Things shoot done in there and I want it done yesteryear.

Edit: The mall has quite a long history.

9 Likes

Yep, I’m old. My 18 year old son took a look at the picture and mentioned that it pretty much looks like the Burger King in the smallish town we live in, and it’s the same decor as the one I worked at in the 1990s. Guess corporate doesn’t feel the need for a refresh…

4 Likes

Probably felt a little like this:

8 Likes
10 Likes

Has anyone looked behind the walls in the Burger King behind a wall? Who knows what archaeological delights there might be there.

4 Likes