Funeral potatoes are not as grim as they sound

Yeah; the addition of sour cream and potential potato chips as topping takes it to the next level. Otherwise they are what used to be called “scalloped potatoes”, although they are thinly not thickly sliced.

3 Likes

Fun fact: those efforts were done with good reason.

You can survive for prolonged times on taters, without bodily harm, which is why they revolutionised European nutrition completely. You can’t on grains, which were staple food before the widespread adoption of taters.

Also, obligs Oliphant for Sam:

3 Likes

Also, especially on marginal lands, you can get way more calories per area out of farming potatoes than grain. Which is why the Irish became increasingly reliant on potatoes as the farms got chopped down into smaller and smaller lots.

2 Likes

True for many areas with Realerbteilung in Germany as well. You’ve got to love the German language for this word, BTW. And for Kartoffel, of course, via its Italian origin.

Also,

1 Like

Yes, here in Utah, inevitably at almost any potluck social gathering funeral potatoes are on the menu. But they sure are yummy so I have no complaints.

3 Likes

Funeral potatoes?

Anyone else immediately think of the potato religion in one of Pratchett’s discworld books? :smiley:
https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Epidity

2 Likes

I want some of this immediately.

1 Like

I bought the ingredients. I’m making these soon.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.