Funny video of high school student calling his teachers by their first names

Jeeze, so many people hating on this kid! “Teachers deserve more respect!” “This is PRIVILEGE!” “Disrespectful!” You guys obviously haven’t been around teenagers in a school environment much. If this gets your panties in a twist then you wouldn’t last a day! I’d even argue that the kid is actually being rather respectful by waiting before/after/between class time to pull his antics.

I like the sociology aspect of the video. I love seeing the different reactions from the different teachers. My favorite was the Spanish teacher who didn’t respond until the kid started speaking Spanish! It’s obvious to me most of these teachers are in the right profession.

I also love that all of the teachers were pretty tolerant of his behavior. Some were like “this fucking guy…” but they all allowed him undermine the “proper” student/teacher relationship (some more than others). They understand that at some point kids don’t need an authority figure but another human being to go to who can help with real life issues. Today this guy is joking around, calling them by their first names. Next week, he could be coming to one of them asking for guidance on how to avoid Uncle Touchy-Feely or what he can do about being newly homeless.

But, yeah, pay them more money!

3 Likes

Teachers have breaks? Ha!

1 Like

I remember kids in my 7th grade class reducing teachers to tears, without mercy, pity or remorse. Other teachers would have to come in and regain control of the class. I just sat in disbelief. 13 years old is where the real sociopaths shine, before they learn to conceal themselves, become lawyers and CEOs.

3 Likes

I’m not for it but - what if this school is like some of the ones I went to in Utah. Almost every teacher there deserved me and more kids being an asshole to them. So, I feel like I don’t have enough context to really decide.

1 Like

I think one did respond with “Hello, sir.” Although I’m not sure if he was returning the greeting or making a correction

1 Like

There is hardly anything more uncomfortable than to listen to a group of standard 13-16 year old’s converation. It’s so goddamn pointless, awkward and embarrassing. I wish I could just delete these years from my memory because remembering myself from that period still makes me cringe.

Then every once in a while I come upon someone that age and they appear really level headed and reasonable and I’m just amazed.

1 Like

Well, I have some bad news for you about surveillance cameras.

Is the privilege that, being a youth, he’s in a protected class and not actually at risk for being strangled?

I was that guy for a bit. Fortunately someone told me I was getting in the way of their learning of things, or I might never have figured it out. :wink:

3 Likes

Perhaps, but, then again, it’s possible that some of the allowances were forced. If you really, really wanted to strangle someone, would you do it while being video-recorded, or…

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Just dumb it down and use the also accurate and descriptive but less snobbish “private schools” instead.

As an aside, can you explain what the difference is between “public school” and “private school”? I think I went to both but I’m not sure.

Not too soon, I hope!

2 Likes

On average, ~$15K/year (for high school)

The scene:
A former teacher’s house; I knew his daughter socially and was attending her 17th (I think birthday party.

The dialogue:
Me: Hello, Mr. Jones, how are you?
Him: Please, Moose, you can call me Jim.
Me: Okay. And you can call me Mr. Malloy!
Him: Don’t push it.

5 Likes

Sorry, that was a UK-specific question. Over here they’re the same thing. Well, nearly. I think the only difference, as with everything else here, is snobbery.

2 Likes

For a certain kind of person who went to public school, I think they think the applicable term is “borstal”.

The rest of us just say state school.

There isn’t really one these days. All public schools are private schools.

I believe historically the ‘public’ school bit referred to schools that would take anybody with the moolah rather than schools that would only take say the sons of haberdashers or schools for choristers in the local cathedral - most if not all of these are of course now ‘public’ schools.

Nowadays it appears to refer to whether you get to be a member of the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference or not.

Wikipedia claims it has to do with whether there was ‘public control’ as opposed to being run purely for private profit but I don’t think that is right.

“all that?” Not much to tell, really. The kid is daring teachers to assert their authority, knowing that they have theirs by consent, but he is protected by something more permanent. What a rebel.

1 Like

Snobbery knows no geographical bounds, my friend.

2 Likes

Okay, Pedant: A Person should not film another person without their consent. Is that better?

No, it is not. You are (and should be) allowed to film in public.