Gadget solves first-world peanut butter problems

KILL THE PLANET TWICE AS FAST WITH HALF THE MESS!!! ™

1 Like

I used to have a neighbor with two GIANT dogs who were capable and eager to clean empty peanut butter jars to a near-squeaky thoroughness.

When we were kids, my parents used to get peanut butter in a case of six gallon-sized cans through a family of religious nuts we were friendly with. A religion that was rabidly organic and always prepared for Armageddon. Anyways, we’d use a can for a doorstop at the back door while we rapidly worked through the can on deck. All the kicking around mixed it pretty well.

I don’t expect this technique to be practical in an exact duplication, but it might be a jumping off point for someone else’s bad idea.

3 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, even thoroughly mixed (I do the “store the container upside down before you open it” trick), there’s absolutely no way the peanut butter I buy could be pumped, especially when out of the refrigerator. It’s pretty solid. I mean, I cut out chunks with a knife. (And I’m not going to stop keeping it in the fridge, as it goes bad before it use it, otherwise. Not that it would be sufficiently liquid anyways.)

1 Like

http://witmerproducts.com/pbutter.html

1 Like

Why not go industrial

2 Likes

Obligatory:

1 Like

Yeah the nice thing about PB in some kind of squeezable non-plastic tetra pak type thing would be that you could massage it some before you squeeze it. Stirring PB is really physically difficult for me actually but I love that stuff.

2 Likes

Plus, they have more flexible recycling now, and one could use those old tube keys to squeeze out every last bit.

1 Like

So this! Clearly this is designed to work with the oily slick Skippy variant of PB, the one which, IMHO, has no real right to exist in the first place.

1 Like

Okay, this is a good time to release whole Rube Goldberg devices (lic. originals et al) for the hundo and see who gets most enraged (in firing capability, I suppose. Most looking forward to getting almond hulls from Big Almond Butter that say ‘we have shells and they will make you bleed.’)

Maybe I can write the Cooking Issues podcast and see if I can also have the devices make the overripe banana recipes from Scraps, Wilt & Weeds (Mads Refslund and Tama Matsuoka Wong)

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe…

I like how knife or spoon was enough for centuries … but now with all of your modern technology with the squeezing and the pumping … a knife or spoon is simply too much work.

3 Likes

Before buying that kind of junk people should ask themself “could I do that with a knife or a spoon ?”
Even better “do I ALREADY do that with a knife or a spoon ?”

Please do!

1 Like

Yeah… I flip it over every time I see it.
Does it help… not really.

1 Like

Good point! Whether the accumulated leftovers from every knife washing + the remainder on the jar outweighs the amount in the pump will probably never be known, because it’ll depend on individual use. (For what it’s worth, I have it on good authority that college students throw away quarter-full jars in the buffet line just to avoid getting PB on their knuckles, so the pump should make a difference there.) The main purpose is to make a messy ingredient more manageable: saving time, saving cleanup, and avoiding allergen cross-contamination. And I appreciate the guilt-free recycling… I always used to wash it, but never knew whether it mattered…

1 Like

How about measuring the same amount without using one spoon to get it from the jar, and another to get it from the first spoon?

That’s for the Keebler elves! This one is for people who aren’t on magical assembly lines.