4 Likes

32 Likes

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

A perfect tribute…

15 Likes

thats it episode 12 GIF

7 Likes

He only in a general honest thought
And common good to all, made one of them.
His life was gentle, and the elements
So mixed in him that Nature might stand up
And say to all the world, “This was a man.”

4 Likes
1 Like

Seemed like a good dude. I used to love listening to him on KCBS when driving to work back in the day. While I don’t give a shit about sportsball he was always entertaining to listen to.

8 Likes

Cute.

9 Likes

Apparently, EA offered him a few hundred thousand bucks or a percentage. Figured he’d take a flyer on it. And it’s made him more money than anything.

He’d been a fixture in Pleasanton, California for years – he slowly bought up a lot of real estate in downtown. I met him briefly once when I was meeting someone for dinner, but he knew freaking everyone in that town. Lovely guy.

6 Likes

At the beginning, he took the few hundred thousand bucks. The percentage was options of EA’s stock at the time to vest over 5 years at $7.50 a share. He wanted the cash.

Now, the deal probably got reworked a bunch of times, but at the time of the end of the first deal, EA stock was trading at $155 a share.

3 Likes

Which is ironic given that - if I recall correctly - Madden was scared of flying.

5 Likes

Maybe the obituaries aren’t the place for typical boingboing snarkiness.

3 Likes

I think John Madden wouldn’t have minded. He never came across as someone who took himself too seriously. And this snark seems like it comes from a positive place, not a negative one.

9 Likes
2 Likes

Someone has got to put the “fun” in “funeral”.

6 Likes

Does this mean the next Madden game will be a zombie survival game?

2 Likes

Here’s a question- other than John McAfee, how many lines of software exist that are named after someone? And Madden started as “John Madden Football”, not just Madden.

I mean, it’s Windows, not Bill Gates OS.

1 Like

Norton Anti-virus (Peter Norton)

Linux (for Linus Torvalds)

4 Likes

Python is named for Monty Python’s Flying Circus, although that’s arguably not named for a specific person. The web framework Django (written in Python), is named for guitarist Django Reinhardt.

And of course the programming language Ada is named for Ada Lovelace.

ETA: A few additional examples!

5 Likes

reiserfs is an especially unfortunate example. People have taken to calling it “murderfs”

1 Like