Game of Thrones castmembers laughing, smirking or gritting their teeth when asked if they like the final season

Yeah I would have been far more disappointed if her end state was a happy fruition of a white savior complex.

7 Likes

Damon Lindelof was behind one of the best closures to a show that seemed impossible to close with the leftovers. I have no idea how his next show will go, but he has earned a fair amount of goodwill.

4 Likes

yes but the writers have merely leaned on the fact that we know the classic storytelling trope without actually telling the story.

3 Likes

What? Not a single person watching last night was surprised that she “turned”, her character’s end was never going to be celebrated savior and there have been consistent actions to suggest this throughout the entire show.

Further explaining the edge Dany was riding on would have been redundant and would also begin undermining Jon and Tyrian’s loyalty.

6 Likes

Jon at least makes sense, she’s totally hot and being king is hard and he knows nothing. Tyrion though, come on man.

3 Likes

Right–because this season has taught the audience to expect that unearned “shocking” character moments in service of Moving The Plot Forward will continue to happen left and right. The showrunners literally used the “previously on” to do the storytelling for them. That’s lazy and insulting.

5 Likes

Which show was that? Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk? Nash Bridges?

Eh, Tyrion really has no place else to go at this point. His family is doomed, and he can’t really leave anyway.

1 Like

Basically the most insignificant person in the story wins (I don’t know if House Codd have been in the show). It would be like the next Star Wars film revealing that one of the un-named people in the Mos Eisley cantina is the real power behind the sith.

1 Like

Well, now he can just become Queenslayer and have a nice little poetic pairing with big bro. That’ll be nice. But really, it could have been a lot better if he just buddy comedied the revolution with Varys. Jon not actually wanting the job is a reasonable obstacle for them to deal with.

Tyrion has been bumbling for a while now, it wouldn’t shock me if the bell was his ploy to push Dany over the edge.

The core of Dany’s character has always been a sort of naïve loyalty to those -pets- followers who have been loyal to her, and to a lesser extent children (like the crucified slaves at Meereen) who stand in for the child she’ll never have. Sending most of the Dothraki to die in a suicide charge at Winterfell wasn’t just really, really bad strategy, it was also flying in the face of the fact she’ll protect her own first. Similarly, Tyrion talking to her about dead children should have been maximally effective, but clearly had no impact.

She was never going to be a good ruler, and she’s obsessed with possessing the family’s metal chair despite her conversation with Sansa, which highlights she’ll have no clue what to do with it and hasn’t even thought that far, but I expect her to fail in her own idiom.

2 Likes

Her character has never been about savior, but instead what path is she going to choose. The bell rung, she made her choice, what exactly is missing? Did we need another 20 minutes explaining she is down and out, back against the wall, with a hair trigger temper and a history of saying one thing and behaving differently?

1 Like

Meh

1 Like

“I did not come here to be Queen of the Ashes.”
Jon makes her incel
five minutes later
“ASHES, BABY!!”

4 Likes

Crazy right?
I like that she is on the brink the whole time. How boring it would have been if she was always dedicated to being a murderous tyrant.

So sick of the whingeing. This is not a fairy tale. There will be no fairy tale ending. I would think the pimps/whores/children being burned alive, rape, murder, parents made to eat their children, dwarf, giants, little elves etc… Oh wait it is a fairy tale it will end like a fairy tale. Just not the sanitized fairy tales you all grew up with but like the old fairy tales.

2 Likes

He couldn’t hold his Frapacino with the metal hand.

8 Likes

No. We needed some indication that she was losing her mind and was going toflip from “Mercy is our strength” to “fuck it, let’s barbecue babies.”

Look, Emilia Clarke is a talented actor, but no amount of freighted silence, or getting dumped by her nephew, or having her faithful advisers killed is going to explain why righteous anger at Cersei suddenly became *indiscriminate murder of the civilians Dany hopes to rule.* I could absolutely have believed her ignoring the surrender and torching the Red Keep. Or maybe the writers could have come up with something that would have planted a seed of anger at the King’s Landing smallfolk. Her past impulsive actions have all been directed at people who harmed her or people she cares about. This? This was just “We need her to be the baddie, so she’s the baddie now.”

The visual spectacle was great. I actually rewatched the sequence because it was exciting and beautifully filmed. But there was nothing about that moment that was in any way earned.

EDIT: As is often the case, Ferrett Steinmetz says it better than I could (read the whole thread):

9 Likes

All I know is that I’m making a drinking game for the last episode:

Every time someone acts out of character and makes the dumbest decision ever to move the plot forward, drink. If the dumb behavior ends in obvious death, drink twice.

If a woman makes a completely out of character decision to favor a man’s advance in plot, drink thrice.

When Jon Snow becomes the king of Westeros because women are unstable and crazy, chug.

7 Likes