Game Of Thrones picks up as the Lannisters cope with apparent victory [TV Recap: season 4, episode 1]

Sorry to inform you @marc45, but Rosebud was Citizen Kane’s sled.

1 Like

Yeah, I also felt that the cast had reached its optimal size in the second book. By then, all the characters except Daenerys and Jon Snow were tied together by a common plot line, and it wasn’t too hard to see how those two could eventually be folded back into the main strand. Then came the proliferation of one-off viewpoint characters, existing characters were scattered, new ones introduced and supposedly dead ones resurrected until just about every part of Westeros had some piece of the action. The narrative’s cohesion has been stretched to the brink, some plot lines only come up every dozen chapters or so, and I wouldn’t have been able to remember what was going on without resorting to our faithful online chroniclers.
With only two books remaining, some of these plot lines will just have to be aborted as the action is refocused on a few central elements for the grand finale. For all the talk about Martin’s supposed delight in offing his characters, I’ve found him curiously reluctant to put a definitive end to some of the less consequential strands and their protagonists. I’m not going to give examples as most of them would still be spoilers at this point, but unless there’s first-hand confirmation of someone being killed, the corpse being incinerated and the ashes scattered all over the Narrow Sea, you can never be sure they won’t make another appearance.

1 Like

1 Like

Absolutely! Why not just make the title of the post something like “Episode 4-1 discussion” so you have to drill down to see any spoilers. Not everyone has read the books or seen the episode on first airing.

I’ve thought similarly, that the RW was the point in the overall narrative when it was made most clear that this would not play out according to our conventional expectations. But it occurs to me that in a bog standard fantasy story, the Starks would have all been wiped out in the first or second chapter, except for the Chosen One, escaping with his mysterious mentor.

For those of us who’ve read the books:

I feel bad for the reviewer. If he thinks the Daenarys narrative was developing slowly in the high-fantasy rollercoaster ride she’s been on, he’s going to be especially frustrated with the “Meerenese knot” – GRRM certainly was, and he wrote it.

3 Likes

Pictures on tumblr. NSFW

The reviewer wrote that she’s the most obnoxious character on the show. Rather mind-blowing moral blindness, that.

If a male character behaved the same way, he’d be seen as a romantic hero kicking against an unjust regime.

Only a fantasy nerd cannot recognize his breed’s resentment of females who are neither placid lambs nor impersonal warriors.

2 Likes

Not hard to do, but for everyone who wants it one way there is another (ME!) who doesn’t. I like seeing the whole article in my feed reader.

1 Like

isn’t that a tautology?

I don’t think it’s strange at all to treat the show like it’s own story. You can’t expect everyone who enjoys the show to read the books. And part of enjoying a series is speculating about the characters and plot.

Oooh, nice observation.

As soon as our temps got into the 40s – like, maybe a week ago! – we were in hoodies and even saw quite a few young men down to shorts instead of jeans. If you’re used to snow and ice, there’s no way you could stand being in winter gear while everyone else is walking around in shirtsleeves.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I think Tyrion is due for a Walter White moment or a fit of Unstoppable Rage where he becomes Tiny Hulk

And at least they gave Jamie a hand-shaped prosthetic which they can do the makeup with a glove. This is much better than Dales stupid stump on TWD which was big enough for his hand and his lunch.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.