Gamergate's color scheme is a rape joke

No.

4 Likes

Of course, being secondary colours means that (Hulk excepted) they are the typical villain costume colours.

1 Like

Theyā€™re also genderqueer pride colours, though apparently the person who came up with that wasnā€™t aware of their use by the WSPU at the time and doesnā€™t like people mentioning it.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to go a bit Godwin***, here, with a parallel parable. Hopefully Iā€™m not getting too hyperbolic.

Ā 

Letā€™s say I start up a social movement.

Devoted to ā€œour daughtersā€™ childrenā€™s purityā€, letā€™s say.

And I say this was all about how my daughter, who was born in 1988, slept around got VD and died horribly as a result.

So Iā€™m calling it the 88 Brigade: Devoted to our Childrenā€™s Purity

Somebody points out that the 8th of the alphabet is ā€œHā€ and ā€œHHā€ stands for ā€œHeil Hitlerā€ and so ā€œ88ā€ is a common neo-nazi code for ā€œHeil Hitler.ā€

And Iā€™m ā€œoh thatā€™s all a buncha nonsense! The letter ā€˜Hā€™ is very common! What about all the other letters of the alphabet! Must they stand for something nasty as well? What about ā€˜Jesus H. Christ!ā€™ā€

Which could be a believable coincidence, for an idiot*. But if it turns out that idiot was a habitue of StormFront message boards for years and years**, not a believable coincidence.

So. The colors are circumstantial evidence.

But ā€œcircumstantialā€ does not mean ā€œwe must discount it.ā€ It means ā€œwe must consider this along with all of the other circumstances.ā€

* I resemble that remark.

** I do NOT resemble that remark.

*** You never go full Godwin!

6 Likes

Government censorship is just one kind of censorship.

3 Likes

Her initials are VJ, the initials given to a day on which Japan surrendered shortly after being nuked twice, a day on which thousands were dead and thousands more were dying terrible deaths from radiation poisoning. VJ-Day isnā€™t even remotely esoteric; it is well-known and documented in even extremely dated high school social studies books. The initials VJ are permanently connected with the nuking of Japan. The initials VJ will be inseparably associated with death by nuclear fallout for pretty much the rest of human existence. Want further proof gamergaters support the deaths of Asiatics? Look at her shirt. Itā€™s loose fitting.

Think about it.

Ah, must be because I heard about the character being made way before I heard about the gamergate thing. My mistake. Thanks for the link.

2 Likes

To be fair, both sides are mixing reality with fiction to support their side and badmouth the opponents, so not so hugely false equivalence. Only a bit. Yes, people associating themselves with gamergate have done all kinds of criminal and idiotic things for conspiracy-reasons suitable to any Dan Brown book. But this right here isnā€™t far off from the same kind of reasoning.

But I have no money on either side, so Iā€™m just going to keep assuming both sides are subjectively raving loons with only a difference in methods. A poo-flinging contest where both sides are covered in it and nobody is going to win.

1 Like

The worst individuals on one side are doing that. Some shitty dudes who were Muslims attacked the WTC, but the Muslim identity as a whole did not. You canā€™t assume theyā€™re all the same just because you donā€™t like them.

1 Like

No, of course you donā€™t. Because drawing an equal sign between people who are critical of a movement, and a movement that has been trying to silence women with harassment and death threats, isnā€™t really favoring one side at all. :unamused:

And Iā€™m sure itā€™s only a coincidence that about the same time the new accounts that joined just in time to defend gamergate and will never be seen again fell off, we started having new accounts that joined just in time to offer this false equivalency.

7 Likes

An image derives its meaning from its context, yes? All I saw was a single still image, so I have to infer its context and its meaning from the discussion.

Letā€™s be clear - there are no ā€œsidesā€ here. Gamergate likes to talk about how itā€™s not responsible for what bad people do in itā€™s name, but at least they continue to associate with a hashtag. People who donā€™t like gamergate are connected by absolutely nothing but their dislike of gamergate. I am not a member of any anti-gamergate movement, I do not subscribe to any mailing lists and I donā€™t search twitter for any anti-gamergate tags.

Recently a gunman stormed Canadian parliament after killing a soldier. Suppose that gunman was a representative of an organization that I was a part of. Well, you could at least tangentially associate me with him (and if it happened again, you could probably start making a real fuss about it). But the mere fact that I donā€™t like my Prime Minister doesnā€™t connect me to that guy in any way.

There are, Iā€™m sure, specific groups who are trying to put an end to gamergate, I am not a member of any of them, I am, like you, on no oneā€™s side. But I sure am against gamergate which by all appearances, even in the best case where we willfully ignore the hate, is a bunch of angry people trying to stop other people from having different opinions about video games.

I know a lot of people who can rightly claim ignorance. If I asked my grandmother what she thought of gamergate, I 100% promise you she would have no opinion either way. When you come onto an message board to discuss a story about gamergate and decide to post something, ignorance of the issues can only be willful.

Maybe a more enlightened person could settle this for us. When someone used to post this for the ā€˜daily doseā€™, was it meant as a rape joke? Having no history with 4chan and no knowledge of how this image came up, I will take all comers at $20, even odds that it was.

8 Likes

Nothing there changes what I said. A boardā€™s moderation is not censorship by any definition given on that page. Would you care to excerpt the section you believe applies in this instance?

5 Likes

I can assume that someone making fallacious arguments and derailing conversation away from the rape joke, or generally defending the meme, or otherwise offering ahistorical alternate narratives based on handwaving, who then insults characterā€¦is pretty much the same.

3 Likes

Actually, itĀ“s about ethics in games journalism.

6 Likes

What makes you so sure itā€™s a rape joke? The joke in question is a picture of Piccolo sodomizing Vegeta, and doesnā€™t really specify whether itā€™s consensual or not.

1 Like

Absolutely correct.

However, your group focus is off. Letā€™s retry this:

Gamers did not attack these people. Gamergate did. That is the exact parallel. Gamers, like Muslims, are a diverse group. Gamergaters, like Al Queda, came into existence with an agenda to cause trouble (to understate the case).

Eigentlich geht es um Ethik in Videospiel-Nachrichten.

17 Likes

BB has truly jumped the shark on this issue. I honestly didnā€™t have an opinion on this topic beforeā€¦ but if this side of the argument has to resort to color schemes to win their argument, I guess the other side is the sane side?

This is the sort of argument a Creationist would useā€¦

Fuck man, thatā€™s far and away the best analogy Iā€™ve come across to summarise this particular nuance.

3 Likes