Gamergate's color scheme is a rape joke

[quote=“sypin, post:162, topic:44755”]
Well, yes. Here: http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40quinnspiracy&q3=%40femfreq&via=Topsy take the analytics of the hashtag- and enter any number of names, accounts or associations that you think are most related with gamergate and see the difference in context to the hashtag.[/quote]

[quote=“sypin, post:167, topic:44755”]
Here: http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40quinnspiracy&q3=brianna%20wu&via=Topsy you can adjust the search to include quinnspiracy, femfreq, etc.[/quote]

The lie that never dies. I’ve seen this argument (that less than 10% of #gamergate tweets mention the LWs) before. It’s deceptive and it’s already been debunked.

Edit: fixed link

9 Likes

hello new user accounts @open_mix and @Gaikang . I know you are new here, but your assumptions about the views of this site and its users are pretty far off base and completely incorrect.

The people on this site have a longstanding history of supporting LGBT rights. No one here is conflating gay sex with rape. A rape joke was the original context of the meme image and what it was originally used for. This is the historical context of that image and its use, and relevant to the discussion of the GG image being discussed, not some conflation or the view of the people of this site. Your assertions are a Red Herring and incorrect.

So your assertion is that the meme usage of this image was to spread a message of love and acceptance of all and honoring their imaginary interspecies union? people were so concerned with honoring this that it spun off into a serious, non joke, meme of acceptance for all. really?

(Note: Has any other long time BBer noticed that GamerGate articles have resulted in more new user accounts then any other type of article, and that all the posts are contrarian without additional contribution? These articles get more deflection, red herrings, false flag arguments, all from new accounts, then all the other articles combined. Just an observation.)

12 Likes

Thank you for saying this and stated so well. As someone who has fought long and hard for equality for all sexual and gender identities, that made me bristle, and I appreciate that you were able to respond so clearly.

Your note is interesting, isn’t it? And I think that’s pretty true of any discussion about sexism or misogyny, actually. I’d like to see someone at least compare the amount of comments left on these subjects (and not just gamergate, but on the subject sexism and misogyny in general) with those left on other subjects, including those other subjects that would be considered both mundane and controversial and/or very interesting/noteworthy.

6 Likes

I would love to see a forum post or two analyzing the data.

• #of new accounts made to post on GG topics (G) vs # for all other topics (Y) in time period (Z)
  • ratio of newly made GG acounts (G) to ban ratio, compared to ban ration for (Y) in the same time period (Z)
    -etc.

EDIT: quoted marilove, who totally made the same point already

6 Likes

Come on, there’s gotta be a statistics nerd 'round these parts willing to do this! (I’d also, as I said above, be interested in the total number of comments left in compared to other types of posts.)

1 Like

Either that or it retroactively ruined countless people’s childhoods. But definitely one of those two. Probably.

1 Like

Uuuh, are you new to the internet? Really terrible memes (some of which go “viral”) of otherwise innocent subjects are made all the time. Childhoods are constantly ruined on the internet. I mean I’ve been online since 1990 (I just did the math holy shit) and my childhood has been “ruined” at least a dozen times. And I am better than most at avoiding the terrible shit.

Were you around for the leadup to the Beijing Olympics? Whooo doggie.

1 Like

(i think he left the sarcasm tag off)

3 Likes

Yeah, I actually got that soon after I made the comment, oooops, so @KarlS kudos to you, I am just tired and missed the obvious . But I think my point is still relevant because his sarcasm was directed at the idea that someone surely wouldn’t make offensive shit up about beloved characters. So I think I’ll keep it, along with the bits of egg on my face.

4 Likes

I know bad art is a bit of a 4chan thing, but it seems unlikely that that image is of a consensual activity. The guy getting penetrated does not look like he’s enjoying it: that is not an O-face, that’s aargh-face.

4 Likes

i understand. it can be hard to differentiate sarcasm from some of the ridiculous stuff being posted in these threads at times. a couple of these comments I’ve read in horror, hoping for the love of all that is good that they were being sarcastic, but nope…

i’m sure @KarlS understands you reading that comment with your shields up. your intentions are in the right place. :smile:

2 Likes

I was referring to the fact that our friends are not coordinating their talking points very well:

3 Likes

[sarcasm] BUT…i thought this was a meme of honoring and accepting all forms of love? or complimentary colors…or something about the hulk.[/sarcasm]
(i remembered the tag :slight_smile: lol)

I think they are using the scatter shot see what sticks method. The more we respond to them steering the conversation into ridiculous areas, the less we discuss the important issues. :frowning:

1 Like

Does the catcher really look like he’s enjoying it?

Is that what it looks like when you have sex?

Then you’re doing it wrong.

3 Likes

It would be nice if there were a d**n API to help out.

1 Like

As someone who sometimes enjoys a little pain in her sexy time activities, I fully concur with this statement. Note the important word “enjoy” that we’ve both used. Interesting, that.

As an aside, was anyone else surprised to find out that gamergate had a corporate identity?

1 Like

I don’t want to be too down on the whole thing. I feel like most of these threads are worth reading even through the drek. If no hecklers came in this thread might have been 20 posts long and not much meaningful would have been said because we wouldn’t feel the need to say it.

The arguments being made to defend gamergate are ones worth countering and being ready to counter. A lot of the tactics used are used because the are effective and they can be hard to answer. If nothing else we’re in a forum self-defense class here.

Buit @Mister44 asked an honest, reasonable question about the boundaries of referencing and the idea of reclaiming things with bad beginnings and I feel something good came out of that. Post 121 by @chenille with the backwards conversation was a wonderful thing.

I appreciated all of this a lot:

Thoughtful things! And frankly, I’d wade through all the nonsense for this:

Makes me want to hop on google translate and get myself some more.

7 Likes

Some people like it that way.

Pro tip: never forget the safe word.

1 Like