Gaming Company Drops Streamer for Calling Men Trash, Says It's 'Extremism'

Hey, thanks for this. I was having a bit of trouble getting over the rather rough naive interpretation.

3 Likes

Great. Glad I could help.

5 Likes

Might I gently point out that #notallmen is not a good look. Because it is #allmen. All of us. At one point or another, it is us, personally, live and direct, because the horrible, toxic culture we live in makes that ok and to be expected. After that, hopefully, we grow up and cut that shit out.

However, I’ll guarantee that both you, I and almost (See? Almost. There’s got to be one guy, though I doubt I’ll ever meet him) all of us have been a bystander to someone who hasn’t cut that shit out, and not stepped in to make said shithead shut up with their injurious garbage. I have, you have, all of us have.

And, as per the helpful rape statistics above show, what men really get up to while we ‘nice ones’ nervously laugh because pulling that putative dickhead above on what they’ve just said would be socially awkward, or bad for our employment prospects, is genuinely horrifying. It is you, it is me, it is the rapists, abusers, murderers, authoritarian rule-makers, all of us.

Listen to women. They’re not putting you down, for fuck’s sake. They’re sick of getting beaten, raped, murdered, fucked over by lawmakers and given shit on the internet, to name a few. #Notallmenning is toxic masculinity. It is being offended that people aren’t accepting your worldview and damaging your sense of your own self. Women get that every day. Ask them, and they’ll tell you.

Great, you’re less horrible to women than most men in recorded history. So am I, I hope. Sometimes they still tell me I’m being a dick, though. And I’m pretty sure they’re probably right. You should be too.

17 Likes

cans

8 Likes

I agree with what you say, but I think you’re responding to a broader point that I was not making. Not to rehash anything (seriously), but I was responding to one specific person who thought that repeating, “Men are trash. All men are trash” was somehow helpful. I’ve never adopted the hashtag to which you refer and I don’t think my limited point adopts it either. I just don’t believe calling a class of ~3.5 billion people “trash” will improve their collective behavior (edit: and I think hammering in that message/narrative will probably worsen their behavior, human psychology being what it is).

1 Like

They are indeed a contributing factor, like throwing gasoline on a fire. An accelerant. :fire:

Well, yeah, I didn’t want to believe it. “Video games are exactly like other media”. I no longer believe that, in the same way that post-Facebook America is not the same as 1990s America. Could Trump have even been elected without Facebook and Twitter, the videogames of our age?

The videogame versions are uniquely capable of teaching people how to engage in consequence free online harassment, for the lulz. It’s just another game on their screen, unfortunately, much of 2015 and onward defines increasingly defines much of normal life as life on a screen.

I don’t think y’all understand that real life and online life have profoundly different mechanisms. Yeah, for sure, violent video games don’t make you a violent person in real life. That’s done and dusted.

But in online life? I mean we just started this whole online 24/7 life thing in about 2010-2014. This is new. This is something else. And if ground zero, the absolute epicenter of people treating each other horribly is in competive, aggro videogaming 4chan style… that’s not exactly a coincidence, is it?

No. The everyone is online 24/7 era is profoundly different. Have a read of this book. (I’m currently reading it.)

Randos can absolutely destroy each other now, trivially, with ease. And guess which randos are super aggro and willing to do it the most?

Agreed – and #notallgames is also not a good look.

tng-picard-eyeroll

16 Likes

Oh, I know this one! It’s right-wingers.

4 Likes

I happened across this just yesterday, and it seems germane:

It’s a long, painful read about growing up as a trans girl, the effects of cissexism on developing identity, and the tendency for feminist discourse about “men” to edge towards TERFdom.

I am not a boy, but I had a boyhood. I was, and am, made to live as a boy and I cannot suspend the perspective that gave me and join in when it’s time to fluster one of those clueless fuckers into anger by calling him a fuckboi and then tell him his anger proves he’s a fuckboi, or to humiliate one with an OKCupid screenshot because we’ve willfully conflated the clumsy ones with the threatening ones so we can grab those solidarity faves. It’s fucked up. It has metastasized.
More than a few out transwomen have told me, privately, they they are uncomfortable with these things, but are afraid that speaking up about it would cause ciswomen to like and trust them less. “I play along,” one of them told me, “because in the queer community the only people who defend cisboys are cisboys. I don’t want to give up finally being read as a girl .”

On a personal note, I’ll say this:
As an AMAB non-binary person, I can never escape the awareness that strangers will usually perceive me as a man. And every time I find myself in a space where people are talking about “how awful men are”, even if they know I’m not a man, and therefore, obviously, don’t mean me, I think: but what about the group next door? The group who are saying the same things, but who I’m not out to?

They’ll look at me, and they’ll see the stubble on my neck that never quite goes away unless I scrape my throat almost raw, and the hair that I cut short to hide how it’s starting to thin because my shoulder length locks had started to look ragged and pathetic, and they’ll see another “man”, and all those same remarks will be aimed at me.

And very often, when I find myself in a queer space, I don’t feel safe.

And it’s interesting to me that when people say “Men are trash”, or similar things, we are meant to assume, automatically, that they don’t mean “all men”. Because if someone points out “not all men”, then they are, of course, some fucking MRA broflake, they should have known not to take it literally. We are meant to assume that what’s being said is “trash men are trash”. Which is a little like saying “water is wet”. Which makes you wonder what, exactly, is gained by saying it.

11 Likes

This makes a lot of sense to me. Generalizations about men are painful reminders of how you are misgendered. That’s rough.

I’m don’t-know-what-gender-I-am and I also read as a man to everyone around me. I’m huge and I have a deep voice and I don’t think there is any way I could ever be seen as anything but a man. A few times in my life I’ve felt very angry and hurt when someone assumed something about me because I was a man.

And maybe I have an unhealthy attitude towards other people saying hurtful things about me, and when I say this it makes me feel like it’s wrapped up in toxic ideas of what it is to be a man that I absorbed through my childhood, but I feel sort of like it’s up to me to take that. But I’ve never thought I was going to lose out on a job opportunity, be denied a place to live, be physically and/or sexually assaulted because someone thought I was a man. At worst I’ve felt like someone I don’t know doesn’t like me or that someone I do know doesn’t know me.

It’s not nice, and it can hurt feelings, but calling it extremism is trying to reverse who is actually being oppressed by who.

11 Likes

Thank you, both of you, for being awesome. This post isn’t directed at you two so much ad building off the posts you two made. Below is an eratz piece for the enlightenment of other board memes and members.

In the academic world, we refer to Toxic Masculinity: internalized beliefs and behaviours that make life worse for the adherents who centre their lives on being read as a Macho Man. Toxic Masculinity can be expressed in many ways, and the social conditioning starts young. ("Oh, Johnny, quit yer whinnying. Tough boys don't cry.")

When masculinity is centred on aggression, and validity in a group depends on how you measure up to a Macho Man standard, everyone gets hurt. Not just dudes, everyone.

This idea that dudes program into each other that men have to be strong, handsome, have a wife and a mistress is toxic as hell. You can see the effects Male Culture has when critical masses of men are around in cities.

Every tine you’re lifting boxes and a broflake makes a remark about a customer’s fine ass or when a broflake complains that another coworker is “frigid and stuck up”. As a Cool Person you don’t engage in harassment, so you might not see every time a people tell lady coworkers to “smile” or make lewd remarks or stare.

This is why Men Are Trash.

Male Culture is trash. Not harassing isn’t gold star behaviour, it’s the goddamn minimum effort someone can put in. Until Male Culture is changed, men will continue to be trash.

I shouldn’t have to break out the fucking charts to explain it to certain members of this board.

Sexism is structural, misogyny us the actions and attitude that build and enable structural sexism. (Yes, still a thing in 2019)

We gotta say it again for those in the bleachers: Men Are Trash.

@codinghorror read the above. Games didn’t start the fire, toxic male culture was always a thing and always will be. The internet didn’t enable hatemobs, the internet made everywhere part of the same global village. Rest assured people were rioting, mobbing, and being assholes long before the internet was a thing, becaude: Men are Trash.

14 Likes

In this case, the person who said it was expressing the frustration and anger that people who are indentified as women feel about the injustice the social structures that create and allow the behavior she was rightfully upset about.

Unfortunately, not one of us is free from or operating outside of those constructions. If we are not allowed to name them, then nothing can change.

With my own awareness of this, I would not casually say something like “men are trash”, but I would express empathy and understanding for someone like this woman, and the outsized reaction to her human feelings that only reinforces and reminds her of her place within those structures.

12 Likes

I’m not a historian, but I’m pretty confident that they did not do so in the 19th century, or the 18th, or the 17th…

8 Likes

But can’t we find a better way to make the – very valid – points you do regarding the general shittiness of toxic masculinity and traditional gender roles?

A way which doesn’t make trans women feel like they have to express a constant hatred of people they may have spent half their lives being mistaken for?
A way which doesn’t make trans men feel like traitors for wanting to be “trash”?
A way which doesn’t make enby people like me feel as though we’re collateral damage?

Saying “men are trash” and other blanket statements like that hurts trans people, and for what?

Because it’s easier than doing what you’ve done above in actually explaining the problems with masculinity as a construct.
Because it makes some people feel good about “sticking it to the man”.

Because, ultimately, it’s “punching up”, and that means that we can ignore the fact that sometimes we hit innocent people by accident?

6 Likes

In this thread:

“Hmmm… This seems a bit bigoted”

“Oh, we don’t mean you, you’re one of the good ones”

4 Likes

… … …

3 Likes

The issue is not that games of all types don’t exist. The reason you don’t see many of them among the top sellers is because people choose the kinds of games that they like. You can’t blame the those choices on the selection of video games, because the causality goes the other way, to the extent that the selection of video games does skew towards violence, it does so because that’s what people buy.

This is in no way unique to video games. Before they were even a thing sports ( and sports fans) were generally competitive and often violent.

4 Likes

We do need better vernacular vocabulary to convey how group dynamics of cis men are problematic without also blaming every individual equally for the actions of all other cis men.

A Congress of Men usually devolves into a misogynistic circlejerk at the most random of times.

Given the problems that the collective group of Men inflict on women and trans women (as a subset, who face more), it’s important that we listen to women and not only hear frustrations but act on it.

Which is why we should call out capital M Men for trash attitudes and actions. Dorks shouldn’t hide behind the excuse of “locker room talk”, “gaming culture”, or “I really like collecting firearms” as an excuse for everything that capital M Men as a collective inflict on women and society.

I’m not calling you out, you’ve done nothing wrong. I’m calling out people like Jeff who like to pretend that Male Machismo is Totally OK. This isn’t a dig at you. It’s a dig at capital M Men (the collective of cis men) and the fellas who perpetuate a shitty toxic culture.

5 Likes

That’s it, basically. The vocabulary.
Because as you say, it’s not OK to excuse the actions of shitty men, and certainly not to try and hold up “male culture” as a justification for it, when on the contrary, their actions should be seen as an indictment of the culture that produces them.

I’m just not happy with the way that this sort of statement gets chucked around so casually, without any of the context that gives it a meaning beyond a nasty remark, because of all the problems I’ve already mentioned with how it affects trans people.

I haven’t actually really addressed the particular issue which started this, so I’ll say that I think calling her remark “extremism” is bizarre, and dropping her over it is both A) an overreaction and B) pandering to the MRA shitbirds.

But, I also think that remarks of that sort are both unhelpful in terms of meaningfully fighting toxic masculinity, and hurtful to some vulnerable people who don’t deserve that hurt.

3 Likes