Gangsta's Paradise, 1920s edition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/19/gangstas-paradise-1920s-edition.html

11 Likes

Wow.

It must be wonderful to be able to open your mouth and pour sound like that into the world.

15 Likes

My favorite cover of this song:

7 Likes

Well that was lovely.

I’m imagining this band in concert (with Pomplamoose as opening act) and nope, nope nope.

That’s exactly how I feel watching any of their stuff. Everybody involved is just incredibly good at what they do and they have such obvious joy in it, it’s just such a great YouTube rabbit hole to go down.

6 Likes

Reminds me a bit of Max Raabe and the Palast Orcehster:

(except they remix songs tongue firmly in cheek)

1 Like

23 skidoo! Dig that razzmatazz!

Oohh. Speak those rhotic words to me, baby.

I believe this is a group my kiddo likes.

2 Likes

My son talked me into taking him to one of PMJ’s shows a while back and it was just amazing and wonderful.

2 Likes

New Order sans synth

6 Likes

Re: that cover of Creep… listen, repeat. listen, repeat. ok once more, listen. back to work. outstanding.

1 Like

Damn but that rendition of Creep was great!

Even though I can never hear Creep now without thinking of this. But what I just watched nearly made me forget it. :wink:

3 Likes

love me some Postmodern Jukebox… especially with Haley Reinhart.

Gracious me, but that dress is fabulous.

Which was a blatant rip-off of STEVIE WONDER’S Pastime Paradise…

4 Likes

Wonder received writing credits and performed the song live with Coolio at a music awards. Plus, apparently (I just read this while fact checking myself) the song’s lyrics don’t contain any profanity at Wonder’s insistence. I think Stevie Wonder was happy to work with others and share music.

And now my internet-forum defense of Coolio’s honour is complete! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Okay, then. It’s still Stevie Wonder’s song.

5 Likes

Definitely. The rap is Coolio, the music for the chorus (that is, the part that made it a hit) is written by Stevie Wonder, who is fucking fantastic.

2 Likes