Garbage covers the Siouxsie and the Banshees' classic "Cities in Dust"

Originally published at: Garbage covers the Siouxsie and the Banshees' classic "Cities in Dust" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I like both bands, and this cover, but also this…

10 Likes

Am I the only one who pictured a river named Siouxsie that was covered in garbage?

Huh, there’s really not many covers of Cities In Dust out there on Youtube. All I can find right now is one by The Everlove, which was apparently used in the trailer for a Transformers movie.

They’re both decent covers. Neither really strikes me as a great cover, one that disassembles the original song, takes about half of what made it great, and replaces the other half with something completely alien and also great.

Let’s see what’s on Bandcamp… ooh, a lot more!

A decent fuzzed-up industrial cover that turns up the contrast between the ethereal/slow sections and the loud apocalypse parts, and really nails something with the throbbing drums they bring to the last slow part before the end, I fucking choked on the rain of ash that singer was summoning, I think this one really goes to the place that Garbage and the Everlove are aiming at but not reaching

just gonna lie back in this gentle synthwave bath and watch the luminous wireframe lava slowly roll over the marina from my yacht

super mellow at first until her voice turns into a piercing, wailing siren

cheesy as fuck, super propulsive metal, perfect soundtrack for an endless runner game where you have to stay in front of a wave of doom - interestingly enough this is specifically a cover of someone else’s cover

this is what Nuclear Sun was covering and awww yeah I could dance my ass off to this one, damn, it has absolutely zero of the original’s high spooky factor but it is A Banger for partying to while the world burns outside

slow, languid, brooding, sit back and let auntie unwoman tell you about the volcano - imagine your own apocalypse

maybe I have listened to too many covers of this song at the point but this one basically feels like multiplying the original by itself in some pretty obvious ways? the breathless rephrasing of the singing is interesting; I want to like this one but I don’t.

this danish man thoroughly embraces the fact that his vocal range does not match up with siouxsie’s and gleefully builds the weird intro beat out of shimmering chips and white noise, I think this one is on the edge of doing something great but never quite rips its source material up enough - it’s a pretty good piece of bombastic EBM but I feel like it really needs one or two good hard glitches in it, especially at the climax

lullabye version for your little baby bat, absolutely nontransformative in a fundamental way, it’s just an instrumental version played on various bell-like instruments, it’s still kinda funny though

pretty solid rock trio cover, thoroughly transforms the melody of the lyrics for the singer’s range, has a pretty nice “lonely guitar in the middle of the desert” vibe

I think that’s probably enough of that.

9 Likes

Good work :+1:

I do hope you’ve found this thread:

7 Likes

Nice. That song gives me the shivers, thinking of Pompei.

2 Likes

Gotta stop hanging out with Pig-Pen.

♪ Gazing at you with scorpion eyes ♪
♪ Halloween ♪

Charlie Brown in a sheet with too many eyeholes cut out

1 Like

Wow, this thread! Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I fucking choked on the rain of ash that singer was summoning, I think this one really goes to the place that Garbage and the Everlove are aiming at but not reaching

And there you have it. No notes.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.