Iggy Pop's "The Passenger" gets a video after 43 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/10/iggy-pops-the-passenger.html

6 Likes

Oh thanks Gareth, thanks for the ear worm.
Thanks a lot!

No but, seriously, I could try to love that song more…
… no, no I couldn’t.

9 Likes

Siouxsie And The Banshees’s cover which, in my book, gives the original a run for its money.

They filmed it at Portmeirion and used clips from the Prisoner!

18 Likes

Video’s better, too. It’s probably a lot of effort to make a video for a 43 year old song that doesn’t suck. An animated slide show with lyrics overlay is probably not it.

7 Likes

I’m guessing the person who put this together for Iggy was a Brit, as all of the driving footage was shot on UK roads.
It always struck me as a very… CBGB/New York kinda song, and the video manages to capture some of that feel.
But as soon as I twigged the driving was all in the UK, I was more fixated on that than anything else. Of course it also lead me to some interesting places as I followed that train of thought down its rabbit hole, and imagined Iggy partaking of UK city nightlife while on tour early in his career.

10 Likes

Dunno. The Passenger sure sounds right while being driven around Detroit’s ripped backsides.

7 Likes

With all respects to Iggy Pop (and this kinda lame video), Siouxsie and the Banshees gave it more than a run for its money… they did it better.

5 Likes

It’s the horns, right? I LOVE that.

6 Likes

Feel like they could’ve at least used footage of a train trip, played more with flip book animated contortions of Iggy on stage to the drum beat and played a little more with the double exposure of city lights… but hey… Iggy is a man of the people and giving this fan made video some exposure made someone’s day.
It’s a testament to the song that Siouxsie’s version ain’t all that different to Iggy’s.

7 Likes

Perfect for a road trip. Some other songs.
Runnin’ Down a Dream - Tom Petty
Never Let Me Down Again - Depeche Mode
Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads
Fast Car - Tracy Chapman

6 Likes

as for Siouxsie And The Banshees version being as good or better I find that although Iggy had some stellar hits, he also had lots of songs that had good bones but were under cooked. there ARE some songs only Iggy can do and you also have to consider his fan base at the time of song’s release dates.

I for one like Joan Jett’s “I wanna be your dog” much more together and structured. (although I cant find the live version I like so this will have to do)

7 Likes

It’s about West Berlin, I’d heard… or least written there…

But apparently, it was written during his tour with Bowie.

11 Likes

I respectfully disagree. Iggy’s arrangements tend to be simpler, yes, but that’s deliberate, with the focus more on the lyrics than the music. I like both his original versions and many of the covers done by others, but the Siouxsie and the Banshees version, for example, is practically a different genre.

10 Likes

There’s another video filmed in studio. I remember this on MTV (or videomusic?)

8 Likes

So a video like this one could be better suited.

2 Likes

Do one for Search and Destroy next!

2 Likes

Both versions are so perfect.
This reminds me of comparing Ziggy Stardust by Bowie and Bauhaus. They each represent a different expression of a similar experience.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade.

2 Likes

EMF was middling good. but I really really really love their “search and destroy”!

1 Like

I think Iggy’s version is deeper. His voice and intonation run opposed to seemingly upbeat lyrics, giving a tinge of detachment and sadness, while Siouxsie And The Banshees’s version is a bit too ‘powerful’

1 Like