Garden: XKCD's latest maddening, relaxing webtoy

I tried for hours and could only grow sticks and the occasional birdbath. My wife tried and immediately got a kitty.

5 Likes

Odd, Iā€™m using Firefox, and itā€™s working fine for me.

I seem to be getting a lot of birdbaths and octopi now. And what looks like a turtle planning to commit suicideā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m most interested in the balloons I have starting to show and this jutting spire that came out of my most intense light.

1 Like

@Nonentity: Octopusā€™ Garden?
@Gutierrez: Harvey Potterā€™s Balloon Farm!

My garden seems to have a breeze going; my lonely wheat stalk is swaying a little.

1 Like

Yeah, my little bush and my tentacles are swaying as well.

ā€¦that may not have come out quite rightā€¦

4 Likes

I canā€™t get it to even render ground. But all yā€™all lights are too high. Also Iā€™m dubious about saguaro and red tinted light. During flowering months sure, but not general growth. They put on inches in the winter.

1 Like

Move your blue light to the tip of the jutting plant that is being forced. Angle it slightly so itā€™s hitting the left side of the plant, to correct itā€™s growth.

The saguaro are starting to bother me. They just wouldnā€™t grow like that. Plus it takes eighty years to get arms. :smiley:

1 Like

Itā€™s a Real time. simulation you just have to be patient.

1 Like

3 Likes

Okay, this dude is insinuating what I mentioned.

http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article17.php

A good lighting system looks amazing. Itā€™s almost as if light drips off of the lamps.

Yeah, Iā€™m just gonna post plant shit here, cause thatā€™s how I roll.

Orange and red and good for photosynthesis, but they are not a panacea for healthy plant growth. Tall leggy plants looking for sun are not better than squat, dense plants. (Not that I heard anyone arguing otherwise)

Forced rhubarb is an example. While it hear it is tasty, it is the veal of the plant world.

Iā€™m totes going down a rathole :smiley:

1 Like

Hey, if you can give helpful hints about growing camellia sinensis or theobroma cacao, Iā€™m game!

Oohhh, came back and looked after a couple of hours, in addition to some shrubbery, I now have a bunny, and a snake, and an obelisk! And something tall and leggy way off to the left, where there is very little light

Got it working. But no matter how much red light I use, I canā€™t get Kryptonian flora.

1 Like

I did something crazy with the lights just crossing each other and went home.

Came back and a CACTUS is GROWING out of my deer!

I got a cat! I got a cat!

So - has anyone figured out if the lights mean anything?

Honestly - it just seem all randomā€¦

1 Like

Someone in the XKCD forum published two gardens comparing red and blue lights.

eta: same guy, late stage gardening in blue and yellow

1 Like

Wheeeee, itā€™s growing, itā€™s growing!

2 Likes
1 Like

I got two cats by each other, a desk and chair, a person on the chair, a person on the desk, a small forest, and two tentacles on the west 40 coming up.