Gardening, Part 2

Shitake logs enjoyed the recent rain. Though the slugs move on 'em at lightning speed!

9 Likes

First garden vegetable of the year. A white radish.

13 Likes

More roses.

12 Likes

When we built the deck recently we decided to get rid of 100 or more cobblestones or small boulders that surrounded the tree and put some ground cover.

We wanted something that flowered for most of the summer so we went with Vinca Minor or Myrtle.

But, Mrs. Feral was having fun playing in the dirt so we put some netting over everything until they spread and really take root.

9 Likes

Current state of the garden.

So far things have been going terribly. I’m in the office every day now so I have a lot less time, and when I get home I’m too tired to tend to the plants. I had a total loss of all the peppers I had started indoors because my lights failed while I was ill. Squirrels have devestated my peas. Potatoes rotted from the rain. Many seeds just never sprouted

But, the tomatoes will grow quickly, as will the beans. Im going to have to buy peppers I guess.

8 Likes

24 hours or so later.

I went and bought a variety of peppers. Beds are fairly filled now. All the strings are strung for the tomatoes.

Radishes are being productive.

14 Likes

We’re behind you by a certain number of weeks (zone 5).

So far, the only consistent crop has been asparagus. And even then, not much per day. This was picked for tonight’s dinner, a total of about 10 stalks:

12 Likes

Be wary of radish-stealing Fraggles!

8 Likes

I’m sorry for your tribulations, but also, thank you for sharing your troubles. So often, and I know gardening isn’t a competitive sport back here, but so often your garden pics make me feel like a real loser. Your garden is amazing.
(She typed while fending off the groundhogs.)

8 Likes

Took 'em long enough (inoculated in March 2022), but finally I got some shiitakes out of these logs.

No sign of any lion’s mane, yet.

9 Likes

Shiit hot!

7 Likes

I love Michigan weather 4 seasons and all but this 80 degree one day frost warning the next is a lot of work, we’re ready though. You’ll have to use your imagination but trust me they’re there.

Under here are SunPatiens.

These are Vinca

And this is the Vinca Minor

These are pansys.

9 Likes

::sigh:: These late frosts are why I never seem to get anything in the ground until June. All my plants are safely in their flats on the grow racks with the tents zipped up. Michigan weather :roll_eyes:.

10 Likes

I decided to get a little decorative with the letuccesseses.

And more than a few radishes

Meanwhile the squirrels have since dug up my beans, sunflowers and zuchhini. Grrr.

10 Likes

Trash pandas destroyed my sunflowers last year. :angry: I’m going to try planting them in the front of the house thus year. Mammoths, of course.

10 Likes

The local trash pandas seem to move in a pack. I wont see them all year, then in one night they’ll devour half my grapes. I had a great crop of corn once. All of it gone in one night.

9 Likes

The lemon tree has 24~ lemons going. More than ever, all over the size of a nickel. And now has more blooms. And yellow leaves. I am confused

6 Likes

At a guess, a fertilizer issue? The wrong ratio can prompt plants into making flowers instead of green leaves, and vice versa (all leaves, no flowers).

I do not know anything about growing lemons though.

6 Likes

(ETA photo)
Mine is doing the same thing. I haven’t counted fruit yet because I know it’s going to prune itself of some/a lot of them in the next month or so. All the new leaves are nice and green; the older ones are a mix of green ones and yellow ones. It’s probably about time to fertilize again, I’ll see if that helps. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

We thought that, and have been using light doses of citrus fertilizer every three weeks. Maybe I need to do one with higher nitrogen

This is what’s going on with us too. New leaves are nicely green and the old ones are yellow.

5 Likes