Gardening, Part 2

Bite me again Michigan weather. At least this time we can move almost everything into the garage and only cover 3 outside beds.

7 Likes

You definitely want more N, but that can actually be blocked by other things, like the soil acidity, and temperatures, and probably other factors. N is a mobile element, so your plant is taking what it has in older leaves and shifting it to the new. If you’re sure your soil acidity is good, give them some more nitrogen for sure.

5 Likes

Thank you! The soil is probably not acidic. It is citrus soil blend and has been in the pot for about 15 months. But I will look into getting a tester. The stuff deep in the root ball might be a different story.
I’m guessing the nitrogen got washed out. We’ve had several cycles of heavy rain in the last few months. The pot drains well, so I wasn’t concerned about root rot but also failed to consider what the water took along. I’ve added a little bit of nitrogen heavy fertilizer and will add more in two weeks. I tend to err on a bit at a time when it comes to fertilizer. I can probably also get a thin layer of compost on top as well.
The lemons are doing well though :lemon:

8 Likes

Back from travel and good heavens the radishes have been busy! There are a few different varieties here. The Salad Rose variant can grow 6 inches long! You can see one in the red bowl. Also my late-starting curcurbids are starting to poke up. I’ll transplant them in another few days.

10 Likes
11 Likes

Sometimes I forget what I’m growing. A few weeks ago squirrels decimated my beans and sunflowers. I reset them, put them under the lights, then went on a trip and promptly forgot about them.

Sunflowers

Polebeans. I am reusing flower pots which is why they say peppers on the side

I have no recollection of setting these. They were on the ground, not even under the lights. Beans from the looks of it.

9 Likes

Strawberry time!

9 Likes

Your strawberries are doing better than ours but we did plant them out in the open where the birds and squirrel can get at them. They’re up high to keep the bunnies away.

I may get out the netting but the birds and squirrel do like them berries.

8 Likes

Here in VA we are thoroughly modern

We don’t pit cherries by hand, no sir! We use them machines!

:joy:

12 Likes

I’ve got about 17 lbs of Bing cherries ready for pitting and up to 7 lbs still on the tree. After the Montmorency tree ripens in a week-ish, it’ll be time to make jam! And ice cream!

@NukeML: We’ve picked about two pints of strawberries so far, but Kidd Jr. keeps eating them all as soon as they’re clean!

12 Likes

We got one last handful of asparagus, at least a week after we thought it was done for the season. And now, adding to the ongoing Swiss chard is cucumbers and zucchini. Those will last a good while. Garlic seems to be close to ready as well.

11 Likes

You already have Cukes and Zukes? Goodness I’m way behind!

7 Likes

I was very surprised as well!

Even some tomatoes, although all are still green.

8 Likes

Here in Central Texas we are past the time for cukes. It’s gotten too hot for most types. Tomatoes are doing very well. Blackberries are doing great. Strawberries are tapering off

8 Likes

My cukes are tiny still

My Zukes are just starting to flower

9 Likes

Wine Cap mushrooms are emerging!

8 Likes

I’m really starting to believe that my pole beans are not in fact pole beans. These are a different variety from my usual. I usually see a whip forming to grab onto the pole but not seeing that yet. I am seeing flowers though.

Kohlrabi are plumping up. Some kind of mushroom there too. Should I eat it? Nah, that was a psily question.

I’m pretty sure that these tomatoes are not an indeterminate variety, despite what the grower said. I usually grow from seed but after a disastrous spring I bought these as seedlings.

Apples weighing down the tree branches

Just a picture of sunflowers intersown with tomatoes, and some cabbage too. Cabbage is great for blocking the soil around your taller plants. A natural weed blocker. You can also see that I have tons of extra tomato plants, as usual

And a zucchini! Picked the first two yesterday

8 Likes

No such thing as a psily question, especially from a fun guy.

5 Likes

Confirmation. Two seed packets, very similar but different in one crucial way.

5 Likes

Dammit!

First tomato starting to get some color, and last night/early this AM some critter (chipmunk?) has to sample

6 Likes