Gardening, Part 2

Cool! Let us know how the continuing experiment goes!

4 Likes

The deer will be grateful that they won’t have to bend down to eat!

12 Likes

Fair point. :frowning::sob:

8 Likes

Damn It Will Forte GIF by MacGruber

6 Likes

That’s a problem we don’t have. Groundhogs, rabbits, racoons, yes. But no deer, so far, at least.

10 Likes

but you may be inviting the rare, but prolific, Virginia pygmy giraffe with your fancy new pygmy giraffe feeder towers.
i may still have some giraffe repellent, if you are interested, but note: it ain’t cheap!

11 Likes

I’ll let you know if it comes up! :grin:

8 Likes

peppers are coming in now. going all in on reds and greens this season, with no habaneros. yesterday i picked fresno, cayenne and jalapenos:

11 Likes

Here in VA it’s time for the early fruits. Today i picked almost 2 gallons of Nanking cherries, a roughly equal amount of goumi berries and a quart or so of mulberries.

Washed up and headed for the freezer. Just cut in for the sink and wired up the stove in the canning kitchen, but not functional yet.

12 Likes

I was boring this year and just went with bells and jalapenos. But you are way ahead if us. Mine are not even knee high yet!

7 Likes

My cherries are barely even green, and I don’t know if the mulberry tree near us will make any berries at all, as it got pretty heavily pruned.

8 Likes

Nanking cherries are a really early bearing bush cherry, small fruit with big seed. Good as a garden snack or for juicing and brewing. Not really useful for much else, no good way to pit them. My tree cherries are still green. And mulberries wil shrug off some pretty heavy pruning, so maybe?

7 Likes

Came home from a week in France to a bit of a messy garden. While I was gone the temps hit the upper 80’s and lower 90’s, and high winds came through and knocked over a bunch of things. Broccoli, spinach and arugula had all bolted.

Cilantro and Dill dried out, then drowned.

Beans are starting to grab the poles

Carrots are growing quickly and will soon crowd out the leeks I fear

Cabbages riddled with Caterpillars after the wind blew the covers off.

Video to follow later

12 Likes

Yeah, it came back fairly leafy, but it has to be about half the tree it used to be. Here’s hoping, but I remember fruit last year in July, quite surprised yours are harvested.

I’m going to have obscene amounts of blackberries this year, and a good blueberry crop, not sure about the raspberries or strawberries.

10 Likes

I set out traps for larry the vole. Caught two of the critters and released them in the nearby forest preserve. This is a typical critter trap but I added an additional layer of mesh to catch voles.

Also, latest updates.

11 Likes

Watch out for the…

invaderzim-gir-bees

:laughing:

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

7 Likes

Pea harvest! Picked about five pounds today.

Also picked two pounds of spinach and harvested the garlic scapes.

Tomatoes and beans are starting to take off. Lettuce is a tad out of control.

Raspberries are also starting to come in.

15 Likes

i have pea envy.
your garden is fantastic!

9 Likes

We’re trying peppers in the grow bag this year.

We have one very cute one already.

There’s also some lettuce in there.

And, uh ohs, here come the fish flies/may flies.

15 Likes

'SHROOOOOOOOMS

(gray oyster blocks in my makeshift humidity chamber)

11 Likes