Gardening

For all of you who are housebound by bad weather, or for other reasons, here is a fun eccentric set of brief pieces from the UK’s The Guardian newspaper. Oh sure they did publish the Wikileaks stuff and more edgy journalism, fine fine, but hey:

How Does Your Garden Grow?

shows us such an admirable, sometimes slightly too obsessed group of people who clearly are very serious about having serious fun in their gardens. Apart from not having much soil, or rainfall, or any plants that are the ones that appear in this series, I feel like I am leading the same life as some of the wilder folks (oh and the lavender lady is nice too–lavender actually does grow here).

This place is about 45 minutes away from me–that’s Texas-close, folks!

Yesterday, I threw a lot of soaked black-eyed peas under my “first year in the ground” fruit trees for nitrogen-fixing and soil biota fostering services. I cleared out the arugula-kale bed. I pulled a lot of native sunflowers up not because I don’t like them, but because the fire ants tend to congregate all over them and it sucks getting bitten every time I brush up against a beautiful booby-trapped sunflower to pick asparagus or chard. Today I can plant the bed with okra (Clemson Spineless and Burgundy), cucumbers, and a lot of mint to keep the bugs off the cucumbers. Chocolate mint, because I like it in smoothies and homemade popsicles. When I see the mint looking wilted, it’s a sign that I need to water more–cucumbers want a lot of water.

Potatoes are late getting planted (blue potatoes and a strange gift from a friend: potato seeds) because I had to buy more soil. Container growing those for easier harvest. I can’t make soil here fast enough. A dear wise friend down the road rakes all those leathery hard live oak leaves into piles and pees on them, and voila the leaves are soil inside a month. That’s a lot of pee though. Hmm.

The compost pile’s Genesis Device® dynamics have a bunch of butternut squash vines as long as my arm and I’m trying to get my courage up to dig them out. They seem really happy but they are in a weird location, and if I don’t fence it off the deer will eat the volunteers into oblivion. Who knows if they will survive the transplant, though… do I dare? Plants are so mercilessly honest with their feedback!

Fire ant mounds are swarming now with winged ants (once a year, fire ants don’t just bite you on your feet, they can get into your hair and neck–and those bites do burn!). My arms have welts on them from pulling cleaver (even after using Tecnu Extreme) and my hands are cut up from not wearing gloves when I was handling fence. I started wearing Chaco sandals this year after many years of wearing Keens, and the break-in period is…eh… rigorous on my very flat feet. Perhaps I will wear boots today. Looks like rain, and that’s absolutely a good thing.

I manage a pool and the season starts 1 May. The pool has many charms, including a deer-proof fence and a hose bib that I don’t have to pay to use. I planted olives trees inside its fence last year (Picual, Arbosana, Pendolino). Close together–olives are wind-pollinated. Black-eyed peas were under it last summer, and in winter: clover, vetch and Austrian winter pea. This year, I am planting more flowers at the pool for eye candy (anything free that a neighbor offers me automatically qualifies). Am hoping to cadge some more Four O’Clocks from a sweet retiree whose cats I take care of 10x/year. I have various flower seed packets given to me for free and I throw everything in the ground: good luck y’all! sort yourselves out!

I have a bunch of citrus (Owari and Meiwa kumquat, Meyer Lemon, Changsha Tangerine) in pots around the place, at the edges of walkways. All their thorns are pruned off because I don’t want negative comments from over-protective parents to my employer. The pots are all taken indoors (o what a heavy chore that is–these are ceramic pots and they weigh almost as much as I do!) every November before frost.

To business, then. Bottoms up on that tea, or coffee, or green smoothie, or clean cool water. I’ll be outside amid the fire ants and those striped scorpions I spotted yesterday near the wood pile. Hmm. Boots. Today, definitely… boots, not sandals.

4 Likes

Oh my apple tree. If I didn’t live in an area that guarantees extra protein with your apples I would be less frustrated with the beast. I have been putting off a major bonsai of it for a few years. The blooms are so pretty but a yard full of apples that are full of worms not so much.

6 Likes

This is a bit like an xmas tree-trimming (tree decorating) party. Great for the kids, esp. if they are climbers, they can really help out. For about $12 you can get 144 apple socks:

http://www.groworganic.com/maggot-barriers-tan-144pk.html

They do work. They can be reused many times. They are a nontoxic solution. I suppose some permaculture answers would include planting the perimeter with strongly scented herbs to confuse insects drawn to the scent of apples. I haven’t had much luck with apples in my area because cotton root rot kills them and the pathogens endemic to our region.

4 Likes

Well there is only the one kid and he is less interested in doing garden things than I am. I really need to get a arborist out to cut it way back, as well as cut down the laurels I haven’t killed off yet (cause they are even more of a pain and hide the blackberry vines) and cut back the forsythias and mock orange.
Or if I could find a cheap wood chipper that would probably get me to do it myself as the pile very quickly goes from nothing to oh way too much to put in the yard waste.

3 Likes

This spring has me so giddy and these lovely posts more so; but I will try to curb my enthusiasm for the sake of coherence. Currently I am somewhat laid up with a neck strain induced by my fervor to do all the things.

The provenance of these mallus I know back to '54 as that is when my mother-in-law’s family first moved in to the cabin we now occupy (the cabin dates to the 1920’s when it was built by a German immigrant). Since the trees were mature in '54 it is likely that they we planted by the original occupant.

This is an excellent idea and I will be doing that ASAP. I’ve noticed quite a few apple seedlings growing around likely sewn by the squirrels and deer. I’ve wondered what to do with these and have so far just been letting them do their own thing. I don’t know how, as seedlings, I could type them to know which tree they came from.

One of the pears which is really on its last legs is an Asian pear and I will work on getting a clone of it first. I could kick myself for not getting a picture of it in bloom as I have never seen it put on a show like it did this year.

I started pruning my apple trees last year and have a funny story related to it. Last spring I took down a large dead limb off a tree. The next day, my father-in-law, seeing the felled limb I had yet to cart off to the burn pile, informed me we had been visited by a bear who took down the limb. This was one of two times that year I was mistaken for a bear, which I take no small amount of pride in (I did set the record straight both times, if only for bragging rights). As you might guess from the appearance of the red fleshed apple; I am too afraid to interfere with whatever magic it has going on that allows it to keep living.

THANK YOU! This had lots of valuable information I had not seen before. Also, thank you for that hot house idea it will make for a great future project and is perfect for those old glass shower doors I was so sure I needed to keep!

4 Likes

Yeah that’s my problem. I live in an urban area, can’t just make a pile of what I cut off over elsewhere and burn it. So I have to bag it and take it out for pickup with the regular waste schedule and it fills up my weekly allotment of 5 bags in no time at all.

4 Likes

The struggle is real! When I was a homeowner within city limits my place had a giant antique honey locust. As the name implies, at certain times of year it very much seemed like a plague. I distinctly remember having to arrange for a dumpster and special pickup for my yard waste. This was before some major landscaping and my discovery that regular root feedings of nitrogen throughout the growing season greatly reduced the locust’s pod bane.

3 Likes

If you’re within the Austin megapolis, PM me in January. That’s fruit tree pruning season. I have pruned a lot of trees, fruit ones and others.

If you’re not in ATX, please just be aware that fruit trees should be pruned prior to budswell, mid- to end of winter (when not pruning off the obvious stuff like dead, diseased or broken branches–that’s an ASAP pruning issue, maybe even with wound sealant if you live in an area with bad bugs).

In the meantime, try getting all the windfalls and culls and other spoiled apples away from the tree as soon as is feasible, because nothing draws those bad wormy maggotty bugs faster than fruit on the ground. If you like hard cider, you can put minimally rinsed (you really really want those wild yeasts on the skins!)

and trimmed apples into a bucket, smash them up a bit with a baseball bat or kraut stomper or big rock, mix with a bit sugar and I guarantee you will definitely have hard cider in no time at all. Put a screen or a towel over the bucket to keep the fruit flies out of your cider mash.

When the fermentation show is over and you like the taste of the results, strain off all the solids and put those on your compost pile, which has been prepped a big layer of dead dry leaves on it. Cover with a lot more dead dry leaves and walk away. Later: soil! Put that under the canopy of the apple tree. Lather, rinse, repeat…

3 Likes

That’s an awesome looking tree–love the woodpecker scars!

3 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire:
CRY HAVOC
AND LET SLIP
THE GLOVED HAND
THE BREWED, CHILLED GRAIN
AND THE FURY
:fire: :fire: :fire:

but keep those dogs in, they’re loud

6 Likes

Pretty idea. Had not considered lettuce in pots. We have some great little garden boxes in the yard my hubbie built where we do the veggies. He gets frustrated though as critters eat things and sometimes just stuff doesn’t work as well as he had hoped. Our soil kinda sucks and I learned with the flowers to bring in the bagged stuff for the beds. Think he’s getting there too.

2 Likes

Whatever this bush is, the bugs really like it, it smells wonderful, and I’m glad to see that even veteran butterflies/moths are comfortable in my yard. The robins are out for blood, though–that dude better eat his fill and get outta Dodge.

6 Likes

Lilac, and your pictures are lovely!

6 Likes

Sheesh that’s hella large diameter Hedera there. It’s like a nasty pseudopod from one of those malevolent aliens that don’t mean us well (unlike the ones in, say, Close Encounters of the Third Kind or The Abyss or something).

[shudder]

Here’s something like a unicorn chaser and it involved a lot of cutting of green growing things:

5 Likes

Two things about fruit trees: most are grafted, and most are not “true from seed.” This means if you are interested in saving/archiving/cloning the living tissue that is reliably from the red-fleshed apple tree, you will need to harvest live scion wood and root it, thusly:

Then “all” you have to do is tissue-match it to a viable rootstock. If you have some seedlings already growing near the tree, you could try to graft onto those. You could search the root area of the old original tree and see if you can find a sucker (a sprout directly off the root of the tree). Grafting onto a sucker from a live root off the tree means you have the original rootstock that is already a successful match.

It’s easier than it sounds. I promise.

3 Likes

I have to dig out horrible stuff sometimes here. I use a mattock (btw fiberglass handles are the best):

and a rock bar which weighs ~16 pounds as they are solid steel:

These save some wear and tear on my back. Hoping this info can help you.

Go git 'em @wrecksdart!

3 Likes

The worst of the Ivy has been removed from my garden, but the folks next door have a backyard full of the stuff and they do not appear super interested in getting rid of any of it, so here and there I’ll find those nasty legacy Ivy vines hidden behind/between fence woodwork that are nearly impossible to remove without tearing down the structure itself. What a shame scientists haven’t figured out how to caress biogas out of Ivy–something that grows so fast must be of some use, somewhere…

Other than that, any good garden design books anyone cares to recommend? The back garden is pretty much in shape, whereas the front yard is, in parts, overrun with Ivy or Holly or old Cypress. The house has a great southern view, so in time I’ll be planting fruit trees out there, but it needs some prep work to start moving in the right direction.

4 Likes

Ah… biogas. Been tracking that one for a while. Used correctly, in some areas of the world and especially as a closed-loop answer to sewage issues, a dream come true. (Why o why aren’t more hog confinement facilities doing biogas? why? /rant ) Misunderstood and misused, biogas can be a misguided mess.

But about your garden design book question… are you more inclined to do something that will match your house? E.g., if you live in an Arts and Crafts bungalow, you’re aiming for something visually that will continue in that style? Or are you more inclined toward “outdoor rooms” in that English garden style? Low maintenance? Lots of color? Or high degree of functionality, food security and resilience, done up in an aesthetically pleasing way?

It’s going to be your time, money and energy spent in your gardens. What would you like to get out of the deal? And arguably, if you live in a neighborhood that has restrictive covenants, are you tracking what your HOA/township/city rules out1 as well?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/article1957613.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-garden-brings-criminal-charges-oak-park-michigan/story?id=14047214 (oh dear, she had to move after all, Seattle and then Detroit! ye gods)

2 Likes

It got so cold last night one of my tomato seedlings died! I had to bring the rest inside this morning! This spring sucks!

5 Likes

Spring in southern California… the grapes are waking up!

9 Likes