Garfield cartoonist denies Jon drinks a cup of dog semen in comic strip

Garfield has gone meta…

Garfield Minus Garfield is a site dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle. It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb.

10 Likes

Hahahahahah

I admit it, I read Garfield as a kid. But I was also reading Bloom County within a few years, so I feel that mostly makes up for it. :wink:

3 Likes

Obligs:

7 Likes

I read Garfield as a kid and liked it. I’d scoop up a big bowl of ice cream and read a collection. It’s a comic strip for kids and Davis has never made claims of it being anything more.

And if I did want something more substantial, I’d reach for Bloom County, Far Side, or (of course) Calvin and Hobbes.

I always figured Davis for a commercial hack so I was heartened to see him so eagerly embrace Garfield Minus Garfield. I kinda wish he’d take Garfield in that direction (not literally, just that shade of humor) for, say, the last six weeks of the strip.

5 Likes

Yes, The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes were also massive staples of my childhood. No question that those two and Bloom County made me a smarter person. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just realized that those three strip features combined reference much of the humanities and quite a few of the sciences: Bloom County was heavy on pop culture, politics, and literature while Calvin and Hobbes touched on philosophy, psychology, and the visual arts. And The Far Side was a surreal tour guide to anthropology, biology, religion, history, film, music, folklore, and…cows.

5 Likes

Doonesbury, anyone?

4 Likes

He didn’i mistake that for coffee. He mistook that for cream in his coffee.

I read various comic strips as a kid, Garfield was up there, Far Side was a favorite, Adventures of Tintin, and by far my favorite was an Argentinian artist named Quino. He’s best known for his Mafalda comic strip, think of Peanuts but with much more insightful commentary on family and friend dynamics, pointed social and political commentary. He also did a lot of non Mafalda comic strips that had a much more strong stance on political and social commentary. I’m a massive fan of his to this day and i adore his art style :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think the Garfield and Friends cartoons completely tapped whatever creative juices he might have once possessed. You might recall it was right around then that the six-day bizarre is-Garfield-dead-or-something series ran.

Am I the only one who has never quite been able to figure out what is so great about Bloom County?

I suppose someone here has to post the XKCD.

7 Likes

2 Likes

I remember reading that strip as a kid and with my childs innocence i remember thinking it must have been some kind of medicine that makes you pregnant with puppies.

So no AV Club! Just because you have a soap box doesn’t make all your assumptions gospel.

1 Like

4 Likes

I would also like to take this opportunity to deny that I drank a cup of dog semen.

1 Like

Because it wasn’t really supposed to be funny anyway.

It is a cartoon so nothing actually happened !! However if a person were to drink semen of any kind
the semen would be destroyed by the acid in the stomach, digested and ultimately metabolised .

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.