Garth Brooks welcomes trans people, tells a-holes to get out of his bar

Originally published at: Garth Brooks welcomes trans people, tells a-holes to get out of his bar | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Cue videos of morons buying his albums so they can record videos of smashing them, like they did with the Dixie Chicks 20 years ago.

23 Likes

Garth Brooks wins! Haters can go away! (From his bar, and in general)

21 Likes

“I want it to be a place you feel safe in. I want it to be a place where you feel like there are manners and people like one another,” Brooks said in conversation with Billboard earlier this month. “And yes, we’re going to serve every brand of beer. We just are.”

happy felicia day GIF

24 Likes

Garth Brooks might be welcoming trans people, but what about his dark alter ego, Chris Gaines?

12 Likes

So the Garth Brooks, Dixie Chicks, Dolly Parton tour will start later this fall? I heard that each night will feature a different guest artist paying tribute to Patrick Haggerty.

9 Likes

That concept album may have kinda flopped and been seen as a joke, but I appreciated him trying. It was the country music equivalent of a David Bowie move. Shows he’s creative and open minded. I mean… I can’t even remember what it sounds like so it must not have been too memorable but gave him and A for effort. Ha

22 Likes

Billy Ray Cyrus seems to be reasonably progressive too; he’s on record saying he’s a lifelong Democrat and he pissed off a lot of racists and homophobes when he did that “Old Town Road” remix and video with Lil’ Nas X.

I rarely listen to country music myself but I have mad respect for the country music superstars who are willing to take on the most toxic elements of their fandom.

27 Likes

I mean, it was the birth of emo. Just look at that ‘do! :wink:

5 Likes

Good Country people.

3 Likes

What’s funny about that was there was supposed to be a whole “Spinal Tap” style movie going along with Chris Gaines. The greatest hits album was supposed to be the movie Soundtrack. The movie got axed, but Garth still owned the songs and had performed them/recorded them, so figured he might as well put it out.

8 Likes

I browsed Twitter for a bit, it’s crazy but predictable.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Willie! And I seem to recall Dwight Yoakam and Randy Travis are pretty liberal but I’ve not paid attention since the Dixie Chicks thing blew up so I am pretty out of date.

9 Likes

Some stupid rednecks gonna be pissed, bless their hearts!

13 Likes

Well now I feel bad for all the sneering I directed his way back when I was too cool to give him a chance. His music still isn’t my thing, but I need to go clean the egg off my face.

10 Likes

Just FYI, they are just the Chicks now. They dropped Dixie from their name a few years ago because of the association with the Confederacy.

13 Likes

Did Brooks actually support trans people, or did he just say they are going to sell Bud Light and people should be nice to each other?

I hope the former and I just missed it. Otherwise it’s a nice sentiment but not exactly big ally talk.

5 Likes

The bar is low these days, sadly.

9 Likes

Taylor Swift originally was angling to be in the country circuit before pivoting to general pop music, also.

4 Likes

So Garth Brooks is, by extension, bigger than Jesus? cool

5 Likes