Smoke House Barbeque dunks on Brook's $78 hamburger claim: "Looks like someone was knocking back some serious drinks"

Originally published at: Smoke House Barbeque dunks on Brook's $78 hamburger claim: "Looks like someone was knocking back some serious drinks" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Yeah the drink in the photo he shared is clearly scotch ruined with ice, not tea.

What struck me was it looks like he also removed all the lettuce and tomato from the burger before taking a couple bites and dejectedly setting it aside. Somehow still used three packets of ketchup.

19 Likes

Some people just ain’t got no culture.

13 Likes

20 Likes

c’mon… i know you can do better!
7zz6cj

37 Likes

After seeing their facebook posts, I’m not so sure I would choose to eat there, but the benefit of an airport location is a that a certain proportion of the customer base has no real choice.

13 Likes

Good Game Handshake GIF by Gaming GIFs

12 Likes

I never understood this argument. I prefer my Scotch with one or two cubes of ice, I probably drink too much already so watering it down ain’t a bad thing in my case.

I bought a Scotch at the airport in Denver a couple weeks ago. My connecting flight was delayed 2 hours, they switched gates five times too, so by that point I needed it. But $15 for a Dewar’s? Gimme some ice to at least make it last longer.

13 Likes

I probably ate there once. When I started law school at Seton Hall, I was still living in Kansas City for the first couple of months, so I was flying into and out of Newark every other weekend. I definitely never spent $78 but airport food is pricey. It always has been, though. It’s same reason theater concessions are so high. They have a captive audience. Capitalism at work, baby!

12 Likes

I switch back and forth depending on the mood, but agree that a “rocks” pour where the glass is basically filled with ice ruins whiskey. However, adding a bit of water or ice not only cools it down enough to reduce the alcohol fumes and make a more pleasant drink (for some) it also has the benefit of driving guiacol, a major phenolic compound, out of solution and to the top of the glass, deepening the bouquet.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06423-5

At the moment, I’ll admit I’m in the touch of ice camp, but that’s entirely because I found these amazing cube trays at Target.

13 Likes

Never fear. I’m sure Amna Nawaz will get to the bottom of this scandal on tomorrow night’s PBS Newshour.

3 Likes

Bobo is usually more fastidious when he’s lying. Standards slipping everywhere.

12 Likes

Well, he was pretty drunk at the time.

16 Likes

Reagan era fobs are nostalgically inclined to still call ketchup a vegetable. In his case probably the scotch as well.

17 Likes

What’s wrong with getting your whole grains from whiskey?

16 Likes

I agree with you on ice in whiskey. I like a dash of bitters in it, too. I have no patience with anyone telling me what I should like or not like. I don’t care if you mix your whiskey with ranch dressing and use it as a dip for pizza crust because it’s not my whiskey, it’s your whiskey. Even if I bought you the drink!

17 Likes

(source facebook post)

Very well played.

22 Likes

So the real villain is not Brooks, or the NYT, or whoever gave him his job there, or whoever decided he was a good conservative voice to have in that segment on PBS (20 or so years ago, BTW!!! HEY, maybe a 23 year old Nawaz could have made better choices at a job she did not have at the time)… but the woman who has been in that job for less than a year, and had not say in who they picked for the segment since Brooks has been doing this segment for well over 20 years now… Really?

10 Likes

Somehow, this doesn’t sound terrible exactly. :thinking:

10 Likes

I imagine the restaurant could sue him for libel. That would make me happy.

5 Likes