Smoke House Barbeque dunks on Brook's $78 hamburger claim: "Looks like someone was knocking back some serious drinks"

I imagine it’s busy milking this once in a lifetime opportunity.

7 Likes

(edit - tried to add a pedant flag in angle brackets at the front of my comment here but it keeps getting read as html.)

I do like some whiskeys with ice. But very rarely do I like whisky with ice.

Neat or water for whisky.

Neat or Ice (sometimes) for whiskey

:wink:

4 Likes

There’s a fix for that, if you like cold scotch but don’t like to water it down…

4 Likes

7 Likes

Fine beer back me.

Maybe that explains a thing or two.

5 Likes

Yeah, the prices at the airport are so high, I can’t really imagine anybody choosing to drink there, unless they’re stuck for hours by flight delays. It wouldn’t surprise me if they actually lose money until weather causes people to be stuck with nothing better to do than overpay for drinks.

8 Likes

You need to use HTML entities

&lt; = <
&gt; = >

<faketag>

ETA: Prefixing with \ also works here, might not other places. \<faketag> gets you <faketag>

8 Likes

FYI, some airports require vendors to charge the same as in off-airport locations. Others burn ya pretty bad. It’s good to know which are the latter and which are the former.

7 Likes

Now, why don’t you just take it easy Group Captain. And please make me a drink of grain alcohol and rain water, and help yourself to whatever you’d like.

8 Likes

I’ll probably make a point to watch that segment tomorrow to see if he (or anyone) makes a mention of BurgerGate. Can’t wait to see Capehart’s expression if/when this comes up.

6 Likes

I mean TGIF made an entire menu around the idea

4 Likes

Maybe I should have said Geoff Bennett? Jeffrey Brown? I was jesting. I watch the Newshour religiously and have for many, many years. I like Nawaz a lot, and I even like Brooks. He’s appalled by Trumpism, and he’s a guy who has been on a personal journey to cultivate his compassion toward others. I don’t agree with him on policy, but I enjoy his and Jonathan Capehart’s commentary on Fridays. It’s fun to see someone so out of touch with the current Republican Party give his take on GOP Crazytown.

The airport burger “scandal” does show that he can be out of touch with regular Americans, even as he’s trying to prove that he’s in solidarity with the common man. I was joking that the very collegial folks at the Newshour probably won’t bother mentioning this silly incident – and they probably don’t need to.

3 Likes

Awww, and here I was thinking I had a bright career ahead of me as a roadie for a traveling charcuterie show.

1 Like

Suing him for libel would mean proving his false statement caused the restaurant real harm, which it might well have done if anyone had believed Brooks. But they’re doing the smart thing and turning the publicity into free marketing so they don’t have to suffer financial harm in the first place.

A clever response that still humiliates Brooks but doesn’t require going through a lengthy legal process for an uncertain outcome.

10 Likes

Paging Chef Reactions
2 out of 10, I would try it.

4 Likes

To be clear, Brooks is perhaps the most accomplished current practitioner of intellectual dishonesty in the American punditocracy – quite a feat. He’s built his entire career on the proposition that selfish Boomers should not feel bad about abandoning the ideals of their youth and throwing their lot in with consumerism, greed, and Reaganism. This supposed “journey of discovery” he’s taking now is ultimately just another vehicle for scolding liberals and progressives for their supposed “incivility” and “intolerance” and “lack of virtue and compassion” (pretty rich coming from a guy who dumped his wife of 3 decades for his younger mistress and then used his NYT column to justify it).

As for his opposition to the MAGAts, give that man a cookie (and $60 worth of booze). Just keep in mind that it’s a handy Bothsidesist way for him to pretend he’s a centrist and keep his gigs.

The Newshour and the NYT should both be ashamed to have this unctuous creep as a regular commentator.

15 Likes

14 Likes

I’m not sure I completely agree with that. I almost think of Brooks, Douthat and Stephens as one entity, kind of the trinity of suck.

4 Likes

Stephens is a lot more obvious and clumsy in his lying and hypocrisy. Cardinal Douthat comes closer, with his constant conservative concern-tr0lling, but he can’t hide his horror of lady parts and of pleasure of any sort which is off-putting to readers. Brooks is a special, especially slimy kind of sucky.

2 Likes

Or none of them? Unless they are doing a story on Brooks?

I’m sure it’s unintentional, but your “joke” made it seem like she was somehow responsible for Brooks being a shitty, pointless journalist, when plenty of other people (like the ones who employee him) have a bigger role in making him such a public voice for “moderate” conservativism… This happens far too often in the world, that women get made responsible for shitty men… Just… make your “jokes” more clear or don’t dump on women, especially ones that you profess to liking their work? :woman_shrugging:

Yes, and my point is that Amna Newaz isn’t responsible for that state of affairs…

4 Likes