Gary Larson quietly brings back 'The Far Side' after 25 years away

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/10/gary-larson-quietly-brings-bac.html

22 Likes

Yay!!! Yay!!! Even if it’s only a little bit back, Yay!!!

40 Likes

That was not on my 2020 blackout bingo card.

But I will happily take it! An original “Happy Mutant”!

36 Likes

“Cow tools” is one of my favorites.

21 Likes

I LOVE the art.

Unfortunately the strips are pretty weak, what you’d expect from his thrown away material from the 80s.

First one is a bit out of date with anyone hailing a taxi; 2nd one is too wordy, could have just used the last line really; third one, not sure even what the joke is, I like the macabre of it and it’s good to see he’s not holding back from depicting children being consumed by bears, but it’s not all that funny.

But I LOVE the art! I really didn’t think i’d like full-color, 3-D-ish digital Far Side art but here we are.

So really, liking the art and not like the strips is a better place to be than vice versa, since he’s going to keep the art and can always improve the jokes.

4 Likes

Andrews McMeel Universal uses, and allows third party advertising partners to place, cookies on this website to understand site usage, recognize your repeat visits and preferences, and facilitate advertising. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the placement and use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy.

Yeah, nah. Pass.

3 Likes

Blimey, 25 years?!

7 Likes

FarSide_PushPull_1986

22 Likes

Is that any different to every other cookie notice?

15 Likes

Is there an RSS feed?

8 Likes

Ridiculously excited about this; we’re still quoting his stuff. And “Cat Fud” is permanently on our grocery list.

To be fair, it’d probably take me about 25 years to learn Photoshop*, too.

*Or any other illustrator application

16 Likes

Hurrah! Two of my favourite classics:

gary-larsen

[which comes to mind when I see MAGA hats]

and this:

howdy

35 Likes

Holy crap! Gary Larson is still alive?
And he is coming back to bless us with more “The Far Side”?
Is that the light at the end of the dark tunnel that is 2020?

17 Likes

Man, I am not as nostalgic for the 80s nearly as much as others my age. People seem to dramatically overstate how popular acts like Joy Division were; it was mostly Mötley Crüe and Van Halen on the radio, really bad fashion and vapid movies (not a John Hughes fan). However, it was a real high point for daily comics. Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Doonesbury, Bloom County… and Chuck Schulz was still going strong.

Of course there was also Family Circle and all the 50s holdovers rehashing Reader’s Digest jokes, but the quality of the top artist more than made up for them.

20 Likes

Darn, now my Far Side box set is not a complete Far Side box set?

Oh well, it is still a joy.

19 Likes

My favorite.

23 Likes

The school for the gifted one is probably my all time favorite.
One of the reasons was I used to work with this guy who liked to laugh at my stupid jokes. And when we first started working together, we were walking from our building to the data center having to go through a locked gate to get to that building. He pushed instead of pulled the gate and I said “school for the gifted” which made him laugh as he also remembered the cartoon. Every time we had to walk over there together, we always had a chuckle because of that. The things that make work tolerable…

22 Likes

I still have a copy of the two scientists one busy working on a rocket casing
and the other with a big brown bag inflated and the other hand is about to make it go bang from behind him… :slight_smile:

13 Likes

What the hell am I going to do now?

There is no space in that boxed set for more of “The Far Side”.

Also, it is no longer complete!

OMG, anxiety attack.

ETA: Also, @HaroldHill beat me to it.
Harold, let’s open a self-help group.

20 Likes

Best part about the “Thagomizer” gag is that there had previously been no distinct name for that part of the stegosaurus, so after the strip ran the scientific community just went with it.

49 Likes