Gawker's back

So what happened with Kinja is pretty interesting. When Dick Nenton first launched development on Kinja Platform, he had most of the work designed in the new York office by a small handful of designers and implemented in eastern europe.

The long and short of it is that when Gizmodo and Kinja got snapped up by Univision, the NYC team started to leave and were replaced by newer understudies. The Univision sold it to Jim Spanfeller, who personally bullied a number of editors, support staff, the ads department, and the entire kinja NYC team.

Kinja Europe’s team is seemingly filled with workers who implement Spanfeller’s ideas on the worst possible way. Within the first month, the number of ads doubled. Autoplay video ads with sound, interstial ads, the whole lot. After the Deadspin staff all quit to form Defector, Spanfeller ordered the Kinja user blogs burned and most accounts associated with user blogs were banned. New account creation was disabled. I’m pretty sure Kinja Europe has just two staffers who operatethe servers with hand pumps.

Kinja platform will continue to get worst and worse because anyone who understands code is long gone.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hate the new format, but sometimes, Gawker could come out with some excellent stories. I always enjoyed Hamilton Nolan’s work… of course, he’s not there, he’s somewhere else, but I’m forgetting.

3 Likes

Interesting.
Like I said, it’s never been good. If someone replies to me and I see a notification, you USED to be able to click the link in that notification and it would at least kind of take you to your original comment so you could see replies. That no longer works at all.

1 Like

Gawker Stalker was enough.

1 Like

One of several irresponsible decisions made by Denton and co. over the years. That’s how they ended up hiring this piece of garbage, who opened the door for the butthurt fascist plutocrat to sue them out of existence through his kayfabe cut-out.

4 Likes

That ish is fugly. Reanimating a corpse has always been a poor decision, and this monstrosity definitely doesn’t change that reality.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.