Gizmodo to be acquired for second time in 4 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/08/gizmodo-to-be-acquired-for-sec.html

6 Likes

[The] entire digital media category is beginning to be recognized again for its unique ability to meet the diverse content and delivery needs of consumers & advertisers."

22 Likes

Second time around should do it…

2 Likes

Still waiting on the new Gawker. Speed it up billionaires. Tick tock.

6 Likes

And what of gawker.com? It hasn’t been updated/changed since 22-August-2016 and the David Geithner imbroglio. And what of unionization? And what of doughnuts??

5 Likes

“BE PASSIONATE AND HAVE FUN” Yeah, that’s the kiss of death right there. He might act like he’s listening, but he’ll do whatever his investors and advertisers tell him. And to all Giz media employees, I hope you get out on your own terms. It’s been nice knowing you…

6 Likes

And remember, with every decision you make, ask yourself:

6 Likes

gawker is dead. Univision killed it after they acquired it. GMG has been unionized since ~2015. The new owners are honoring those agreements.

5 Likes

Private equity? RealClearPolitics? What could go wrong?

4 Likes

Gawker’s shambling corpse - the brand and archives - were bought by notorious cheapskate and anti-worker Republican Bryan Goldberg. Goldberg previously bought Mic.com and fired the entire staff, and pays contributors to Bustle poorly.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of the A/V Club and io9, so I’m hoping they’ll be pretty much left alone in the shakeups. Though if their commenting system (Kinja) got fixed, it would be a real improvement!

11 Likes

Kinja is the fucking worst.

13 Likes

As long as they don’t switch back to Disqus…

8 Likes

9 Likes

The small commenter blogs are maybe unique, and they all just hunker down and hope that whoever takes over doesn’t notice them.

4 Likes

+1
AVClub, Deadspin and Jalopnik reader here.

5 Likes

Likewise. But all the writers I enjoyed the most have already left, so my visits have become rarer, and shorter. I hate the emphasis on video content - I want text, dammit! Lifehacker is a huckster mess now, Earther needs a bullet to the brain, and Jezebel…well, let’s just draw a discreet veil over that one. I still miss Gawker and especially Valleywag.

As for Kinja, it’s a raging dumpster fire, is getting more difficult to use rather than better, reacts differently from day to day and browser to browser, so responding/engaging has become an infrequent chore.

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit…it’s the only way to be sure.

2 Likes

Kind of a shame for Giz, as there’s some good stuff there. Jalopnik’s been great, and has had some fantastic writers, and Jason Schrier at Kotaku is probably one of the best games journalists out there (which is hilarious, given that IT’S ABOUT ETHICS IN GAME JOURNALISM-ists hate Kotaku with a burning passion) with his succession of dig-deep pieces about games like Anthem and Destiny.

And also let’s not forget that The Onion is tied up in all this, which is going to be a definite shame if it gets murdered or ruined.

6 Likes

Lots of great sites there that I hope aren’t ruined. I’m not holding my breath. (And fuck Kinja and that human bobblehead Nick Denton for unleashing such a piece of festering garbage.)

5 Likes

I miss pre-Giz Jalopnik, when it was just a bunch of fat old punks blogging about rusty muscle cars. Lawn, off, all that jazz.

5 Likes