Gizmodo to be acquired for second time in 4 years

queue-wings for the huff-off

AV Club has been working with paid content/editorial for quite some time (“Hey, it’s Barbecue Week, a whole week of stories about barbecue, courtesy of our friends at Sweet Baby Ray’s!”) but they’re always well-labeled as such.

I’m worried that this will most impact The Root’s wonderfully angry content as well as Deadspin. AV Club has been struggling a bit to find its tone as of late (and frankly has been since Nathan Rabin and the other writers left).

4 Likes

Same here, but since Annalee and Charlie Jane left iO9 and A/V was split from the Onion, I find myself actually reading only a few articles a week. They’re now basically just reviews and recaps of massively popular pop culture “franchises” like GOT, Star Wars, Dr Who etc and have lost almost all of their great writers who kept tabs on literature, underground culture, etc. I used to get a daily dose of something I needed to look into right now, but now it seems like the Kinja Deals are just about the most interesting thing they post.

I like Jalopnik, though. I don’t think there’s anyone really gunning for their middle-aged car nerd seats.

Also, Kinja is the absolute worst commenting platform I have ever seen on a major website.

4 Likes

As long as io9 remains untouched, I’ll be happy. Now that I’ve said that…

3 Likes

True, io9 was much better a few years ago, under different management, and the move to make them a sub-blog of Gizmodo didn’t help. I keep reading, though, hoping it gets better.

4 Likes

Seems odd to me that such successful sites keep needing new ownership.

2 Likes

Right it was 4 years ago I stopped reading the Onion.

True. I only go there for Books - Tech and Science Tips, Reviews, News And More. | Gizmodo, and even there, as of this writing, out of the top 10 posts five are tagged “Television”, three are tagged “Movies”, and one of the remaining posts actually tagged “Books” is about a making-of-Star-Wars movie book.

2 Likes

I actually forgot that Annalee went to Ars Technica, which used to be one of my dailies years ago. I’ll have to start checking them out again.

2 Likes

Bookshelf Injection is dreadful since Annalee left.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.