Gen X is no longer young: A thread on aging

I find his writing insufferable. Or I did anyway, I haven’t read him since my early 20s. He was possibly still a bit trendy then but not as much as he was in the 80s.

3 Likes

I think you shouldn’t browse streaming services. It never works for me. I do search them to see if the thing I want is there. Because you can’t search the Interwebs for that information as you just get AI written cage chum when you look for stuff like the release date of a new series.

6 Likes

Not sure if it’ll tell release dates, but JustWatch goes over a good many of the streaming services. It’s what I use to figure out which one to go to.

5 Likes

And that, my friend, says you are having a good day! Go forth and conquer!

18 Likes

I must admit, I haven’t read a lot of Stephen King novels, as he seemed best as a short story writer. And those I gobbled up. I have read The Stand and Misery, and the four Different Seasons novellas, but none of his other blockbusters.

I think what cooled my passion was a feeling the novels didn’t stick their endings as well as the short stories did.

6 Likes

I feel seen.

10 Likes

That is a very common issue. Endings seem to be incredibly difficult. Read many novels where the body is excellent, involving and compelling. Then the finale just faceplants. Very disappointing.

6 Likes

Here’s looking at you, Kidd.

7 Likes

Day four of this Old Man’s Journey. Made it to Seefeld in Austria. I think I’m getting the hang of this whole “hiking with a Gen X body” thing.

And just after I wrote that, I knocked my beer over. Damn it!

25 Likes

Horror No GIF by Aardman Animations

15 Likes

Nice area. Although I’ve never done any hiking around thereabouts, just Spaziergänge.

4 Likes

You may appreciate that the trail between Scharnitz and Seefeld is called “Hirn”. And there is a potable spring along that trail.

Yes, I drank Hirnwasser.

9 Likes

Appropos given the topic of the thread. Even the best-lived lives tend to end on a bit of an anticlimax, unless you somehow manage to end it with a “Bruce Willis in Armageddon sacrificing himself to blow up the asteroid” kind of thing.

ETA: Fair enough, @sqlrob. Hopefully it isn’t a big spoiler to reveal that someone dies in that ridiculous movie.

3 Likes

doctor who spoilers GIF

3 Likes

So, day five, and the current end of my odyssey. I made it to Innsbruck, but it wasn’t fun. The route had me following an autobahn for more than an hour. Loud, straight, boring, just ugh.

But I made it. The old man slacker won his participation trophy*. And thanks to European rail, I was back home in two hours. So yeah, I did a thing for myself. And though I feel fitter, it came at the cost of wounds along the belt line due to the backpack’s weight all those many kilometers. And a feeling of “what do I do now?”

Oh well, I made it this far. We’ll see.

*no actual trophies involved.

22 Likes

Getting there is the trophy (or all that beautiful scenery on the way, maybe is a better accolade from sedentary me). Those pics are beautiful.

I’d love to go to Germany; the bullshit we are brought up with about it in the UK, especially if you’re older, is awful. I’d like to see what it’s really like.

Apropos walks, my partner’s brother is about 7/8ths of the way through a walk from Calais to the West Bank :grimacing: (well, he’s flying from the edge of Turkey to Jordan. The walk down the coast to the final destination prooooobably isn’t a good idea…).

The pics and videos thru France, Switzerland and Italy look like great fun, as do yours. Then he went through bits of Romania and took the ferry to Greece in time for the wildfires - he, errrr, says it’s progressively got a little more difficult in the latter stages.

He’s tougher than I’ll ever be (and so are you and all other walking holidayers, I fuckin’ tell you what) and I’m about 15 years younger than him FFS.

12 Likes

Ah, the Inntalautobahn… Nice. Especially when it’s completely fogged in. I’ll be on it in three weeks in the one direction, and in the other direction in five weeks.

If the question is not too personal - where exactly did you stick the Pickerl?

3 Likes

Nowhere. A good thing I wasn’t on the other side of that guardrail!

But really, it was the low point of the entire route. After going through the Karwendel pass it just seemed tawdry and grimy, industrial parks and such.

Oh, and ÖBB is definitely better run than DB.

4 Likes

Sometimes I dream of a hostile takeover of DB by ÖBB, the way they have already saved us with night trains. Or better yet, SBB!

3 Likes

No cap;
I read Night Shift when I was 10. I read Carrie when I was 12. I read It when I was 15…

10 Likes