Gen X is no longer young: A thread on aging

There are a lot more resources, but the default resources are algorithms designed to keep pumping you stuff that’s similar to what you’ve watched already. I believe it’s harder to be pleasantly surprised these days.

ETA: sites like this spark joy for me, however.

5 Likes

Not Everyone ignores Gen X.
This young person has a theory:

What do you think, Xers?

9 Likes

Can confirm: Night Shift, The Stand when I was about 12 or 13. That was good for a few sleepless nights.

You can throw in the novel version of Alien for good measure, long before I was old enough to even rent the movie.

14 Likes

When I read the screenshot above, I immediately thought of the cover of Night Shift, with the eyes in the bandaged hands. Yep, I also read that too young. And the Alien novel too.

11 Likes

I mean… yeah… it’s why we’re awesome… duh! :laughing: I think I started reading Stephen King in 5th grade?

15 Likes

I remember my folks renting a cottage and me curling up at night in the sunroom all alone, reading Pet Sematary. Total nightmare fuel. I didn’t have nightmares, though, nosirree. I just didn’t sleep!

10 Likes

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes

From Carrie to The Stand, then I stopped reading his stuff at all. I think The Mist was my favorite. Probably because it’s short. Imo dude seriously needed a ruthless editor.

Clive Barker FTW

8 Likes

Yeah, I don’t get this either. When I was in middle school in the late 70s and early 80s, I was already well-versed in sci-fi and horror movie history, and went out of my way to watch the classics - the Universal monsters, King Kong, War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Forbidden Planet, etc were all on my favorite movies list. They were almost all > 30 years old at that point. This was before we had a VCR. And I knew many, many more by reputation - Lord knows how, but Starlog and Famous Monsters of Filmland probably had something to do with it. I wasn’t some anomaly either - most of my peers had a similar engagement with the past. I dunno what’s going on with the kids today, who are spending entirely too much time on my lawn.

10 Likes

Confirmed. Not just one but many. The Stand, Cujo, It., etc.

6 Likes

In Midian, where the monsters live.

3 Likes

Congrats. Glad you made it through in one piece.

2 Likes

The Shining in 7th grade. The Stand in 8th.

4 Likes

A friend of mine is big into fandom conventions. She’s also a huge Malcolm McDowell fan, and he happened to be at a con she was going to attend.

At the con, late in the day, she was near his signing table, but just straight up broke and couldn’t justify the fee. Mr. McDowell’s manager saw her hovering and invited her over. “No, it’s fine, come over and say hi.”

Now, she’s met a lot of famous people and never gets starstruck, but he’s her favorite celeb and she was already a bit overwhelmed by the invitation. When Mr. McDowell introduced himself, her mind went blank and all she could do was blurt out

“I SAW CLOCKWORK ORANGE WHEN I WAS 12”

She was mortified. He just paused, nodded, and said “Wow. That must have really messed you up.”

I think they salvaged a short conversation, but at least she got a story out of it!

16 Likes

M. R. James in Grade 7 or so (What was that doing in the school library?)
519vc-XT8NL

Shirley Jackson in high school.

HauntingOfHillHouse

OnTheBeach
(book and movie)

You kids today… :wink:

8 Likes

The Stand came right to mind. Read it the first time too young to appreciate it. Not sure it is entirely why i am how i am, but I’m sure it played a role.

9 Likes

On the Beach? A feel-good romp if ever there was one!

9 Likes

So, Day Three. I made the climb to the Walchensee lake… but a sunny Sunday and the last week of summer vacation meant it was far too full. So I pushed on. And now I’m in Mittenwald, in the shadow of the Karwendel. And instead of the 10km it was 35km.

But I seem to be getting used to it. I don’t hurt more than yesterday. Take that, old age!

I should be in Innsbruck (not Ingolstadt!) on Wednesday.

23 Likes

Its amazing that countries exist where one can walk from one city to another. Here in Illinois I can barely walk to the shops.

15 Likes

Magnesium oil applied topically is what I use on sore muscles.
Epsom salt soaks are another way.
This much you know.

I thought of you the minute it read this:

Good luck and take good care, please.
I wish you einen schönen Spaziergang, ohne Krisen.

16 Likes