Gendered objectification

I don’t know anything about this film, but don’t think it sounds like a good idea at all.

1 Like

It took me a while to even find out what the movie was. Apparently there is a trailer too.

Have to agree it looks awful.

6 Likes

It’s a Korean movie, apparently. I don’t know how wide the release will be in the US.

2 Likes

I don’t know either, it appears Locus is a VFX studio that does American and Korean VFX work that are now producing an animated movie. The ad actually makes it looks like they may be trying to find someone to distribute in the West now that I look at it more, and are trying to advertise for investment sake.

1 Like

"We know about the male gaze in film and TV, but what about the “monster gaze.” You may have noticed that, generally, monster movies always feature a young, nubile female character for the monster to ogle. Sometimes she’s a lead character, but often times she’s some nameless woman who screams while she runs and jiggles. Or alternately, she’s made to stand under the monster’s glare.

The above video essay, titled “The Monster Gaze,” was created by Kevin Maher of Kevin Geeks Out, and it highlights moments from twenty monster movies (and a couple of other things thrown in for fun, like The Count on Sesame Street) to make the point that in addition to female characters being reduced to objects by men of their own species, they are reduced by non-humans as well, making them sub-non-human, I guess.

As Daily Grindhouse points out, giving the monster a chance to ogle allows the audience to ogle as well. What’s more, they don’t have to feel guilty about it, because it’s not actually them, you see, but that monster. They take it one step further, saying, “The male viewer is invited to identify with the monster before he relates to the woman (who sometimes isn’t even given a name). Often the monster is given more character than the women he peeps at.”

Think about that. Men are being encouraged to identify with a non-human before they are taught to acknowledge women as equal members of their own species. DA FUQ?!"

17 Likes

As a watcher of these kinds of movies yeah these scenes just never make any sense other than look person is an object of prey… as a mostly hetero male and the target audience for these movies I kinda know why they are there and while I do like a nice nekkid lady scene it gets just eyeroll inducing, groan worthy after awhile.

My ‘favorite’ is still from the 50’s and 60’s where you have the woman who has her degree in astrophysics but is all let me make coffee and sandwiches for the boys or falls for the manly pilot and goes all in to be suzy homemaker after the movie is over.

ETA actually I am probably quite a bit older now than the target audience.

10 Likes

7 Likes

My mom always had AMC on when they still played movies from the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s and we would watch together. After I saw Psycho and Night of the Living Dead (which were my favorite movies at 16) I started watching horror in general.

It’s one of many genres and mediums that I love even though I am not considered to be the target audience. It sucks because the things that I am the target audience for are repugnant to me , like romcoms and morning shows.

That is real horror :wink:

15 Likes

You sound like a woman after my own heart.

I also love good horror and scifi, and utterly abhor both rom-coms and morning talk shows.

It’s the freakin’ morning, for pete’s sake:

I have to get ready for work and get my kid off to school; I don’t wanna hear anybody talking about mind-numbingly inane shit in an annoying upbeat tone…

10 Likes

Seriously. At that time of the morning talking to me about healthy desserts and how to make a stamp out of a potato will get you this:

13 Likes

So much this. But, wait…that can’t be right, because according to data our ladyness means we must like those things. /s

13 Likes

Yep; sisters from another mister.

This is me most mornings:

11 Likes

Romcoms are the worst. Gimme a cheezy wire-fighting kung-fu movie anytime over that. I don’t think I could stand being around women who actually like romcoms.

12 Likes

Actually, Eli Roth has said that movies like The Ring finally clued people in that the real audience of horror movies was teenage girls.

I don’t like horror or romance, but give me a ridiculous detective show or spaceships and I’m good.

14 Likes

Well, they do spend the most money out of any single demographic, which is why boy bands are still a thing…

Ugh.

7 Likes

Which is why it’s fortunate that Teen Vogue has reminded us that teen girls can be interested in silly things and serious things at the same time.

Though more importantly it’s reminded teen girls that they can enjoy their youth and still be engaged in society. It really is unfair how often their demographic gets shamed for just existing.

15 Likes

Yes yes yes! I love horror movies, science fiction, and fantasy. I love action movies too, especially Jackie Chan and Jason Statham movies.

(Although, isn’t just about any Jason Statham movie a “chick flick”?

I rest my case. :wink:)

I almost never watch romcoms, unless there’s a twist or a really good actor involved. Shakespeare In Love was awesome, but I don’t think that was really a romcom. And somewhere-or-other I know I’ve got the DVD of Waitress, which I hear is really good and has Nathan Fillion. One of these days I’ll manage to convince myself to watch it. I keep cueing up Firefly or Castle or Slither instead.

(For those who don’t know, Slither is a gross, silly and swear-y alien invasion movie, directed by James Gunn. But unlike Guardians of the Galaxy it really isn’t family friendly. I dragged my ex to the theater with me to see Slither on its opening night. I never dragged him to even a single romcom. Horror movies, yes, more than once. Romcoms, no.)

And unless I’m working early or going to an appointment, I’m not awake early enough for morning shows. And if I’m awake at six in the morning I am NOT a cheerful person. I’m probably barely coherent, and grumpy as hell.

5 Likes

And uh … speaking of ridiculous detective shows. Branagh’s mustache is ludicrous even for Poirot, but … I’m finding the Belgian accent oddly sexy?

5 Likes

Confession; I liked him more in ‘Lock, Stock…’ and ‘Snatch’ than I did any of his action flicks.

7 Likes

I liked Snatch; I haven’t seen Lock, Stock… yet. I’m sorry to say, Statham’s been stereotyped in his American cinema work. I’d love to see him work with a director who encourages him to stretch, to really act, and do more than “strong-and-silent”-type work.

4 Likes