General Gaming Chit-Chat and Tea-Time

But I can set people on fire with my rocket launcher (and guns) in Borderlands. FIRE BEAUTIFUL CLEANSING FIRE!
I am not sure where there is crafting and micromanaging in the game though unless you are crazy attentive about your skill tree.

1 Like

I took a sick day yesterday cause of some not so normal insomnia and I was wiped in the morning. So I got back to playing Tales From The Borderlands which has been a really neat modern choose your own adventure book. I am going to have try more of the TellTale studio games.

No, not yet. I only last month put 120+ hours of New Vegas and all of the expansion packs to bed.

Itā€™s not that I donā€™t want to play Fallout 4, itā€™s that Iā€™d rather play it once itā€™s been a) patched b) all the best fan mods are stable c) most of the DLC is included and d) cheaper.

3 Likes

Ahhā€¦ I envy you that! That was the best and most thoroughly-played game I think Iā€™ve ever played. (Took me 150+ hours to get through all of that, though.) And the gameplay (within the admittedly creaky limitations of the Gamebryo engine) was nearly perfect for my taste. Instead of reinventing that wheel for Fallout 4, Iā€™d have been happier if theyā€™d just kept making new DLC packs for F:NV for the next 10 years.

That said, it was buggy as hell for a few months. So far I donā€™t find F4 particularly buggy, though Iā€™m on Xbone, so who knows. Nice that Iā€™ll get to experience at least some of the mods eventually.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that Bethesdaā€™s modus operandi?

6 Likes

I guess it must be, though they were just publishers of NV, not the programmers. And I only got into other Bethesda titles like Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim some time after they got more-or-less fully patched.

NV really burned my ass that first month or two. Corrupted game saves cost me days of lost work.

1 Like

What Iā€™ve been playing, in approximate order of current interest:

Dirt Rally
Sacred 2 Gold
Rebel Galaxy
Path of Exile
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Sacred is kind of a fluke. Something reminded me of it the other day and I decided to reinstall it and have another go at it. Itā€™s definitely showing its true colors as a 6 year old, kind of mediocre game that requires a bit of online research and effort to get working and get into a groove, but Iā€™m having fun anyway.

Iā€™d been reluctant to play NV because I felt that F3 was such a disappointment. It was the first Bethesda game, going back to Morrowind, that Iā€™d put down before finishing. That said, a large part of my enjoyment in NV was the DLC, the arc through Big MT, into the Sierra Madre, and then into the Lonesome Road I thought was particularly well done, even when I did it in the wrong order (MT-> Lonesome Road-> Honest Hearts-> Sierra Madre). So, thanks for encouraging me to play it.

That Nemesis system was so good I want it in every RPG. I want it in Fallout, I want it in Elder Scrolls, I want it in Mass Effect. I just love the idea of random grunts becoming randomly recurring villains.

1 Like

Iā€™d consider base-building a sort of crafting, and it can be extremely fiddly. Running around all over the place scrapping other structures until youā€™re overburdened, eating one food item, then running back home to build that fifth story observation deck with a dozen windmills to power your second water pump. That kind of thing.

1 Like

I actually havenā€™t played much of anything in quite a while. Itā€™s a shame too. I. Just. Suck at gaming.

Iā€™ve been playing Portal 2 Co-op with another mutant here, and itā€™s been very fun, but I still suck at even moving around in FPS mode. Iā€™m always getting stuck on stuff, falling to my death because I didnā€™t watch my step, or just having brain farts realizing that Iā€™ve been walking around crouched the whole time because I forgot thereā€™s no sprint keybinding in Portal 2.

I like watching gameplay a lot more. Especially story-based games with competent gamers.

Watching Cryaotic play The Last of Us, as well as Beyond: Two Souls was amazing. He gets so invested in the story and characters, and the way he commentates really pulls you into the story as well. I know thereā€™s a lot of hate for the guy because heā€™s gotten so popular, but he does a great job.

Iā€™d rather watch other people play well, than ride the strugglebus myself.

3 Likes

None of which you have in any Borderlands game. It is a loot/rpg game with a FPS interface. You do the mission open the boxes, scavenge the dropped items and hope for a good drop.

I thought he said thatā€™s why heā€™s having a hard time with Fallout 4?

Oh he mentioned Borderlands as well. Though I guess that was more for all the crazy gun options, which actually is a big part of the appeal to me. You can shoot someone and then have chemical waste finish off the job by dissolving them? Or burn them up to a cinder? Or in the Pre-Sequel freeze them then run up and shatter them? Who wouldnā€™t find that fun in a shooting game?

1 Like

Been playing a mix of Kerbel Space Program-- canā€™t seem to get into orbit, though, which might be a bad, baaad signā€¦-- and Pharoah/Cleopatra (an oldie from gog games)

Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Chai, Lapsang and Keemun. Mostly from Uptonā€™s

2 Likes

Are you using the Realism Overhaul mod? Because whatā€™s hard in stock KSP is nigh on impossible in Realism Overhaul.

ā€œI laugh at your pitiful 1/10th scale rockets and lack of ablative heat shields for re-entry.ā€

If youā€™d like a few pointers and tutorials, Scott Manley on youtube is an excellent KSP player and does a good job explaining KSPā€™s orbital dynamics and how rockets should be used.

Remember, if youā€™re having a hard time getting off the pad, strapping on more boosters has rapidly diminishing returns.

Also, most stock rockets are capable of getting into orbit no problem, as long as you start pointing your rocket East at 10km altitude. Typically roll from vertical to 45 degrees East at 10km, and work it over to completely horizontal by 100km. Also, if you get an apoapsis above 100km early, cut your engines, turn your ship to point East horizontally, then wait till youā€™re a few minutes from apoapsis and burn until your periapsis is outside the atmosphere (>70km in stock KSP). Voila! Youā€™re in orbit.

Also, donā€™t be afraid to test stuff in the sandbox to get a feel for what youā€™ll need to get where youā€™re going.

3 Likes

The game development studio I used to work for had a nemesis system very like it planned out for an MMO about 10 years ago. But the company never got its act together and actually made a game that publishers wanted to shell out for, and couldnā€™t self-fund, and everything went off the rails and my part of the company spun off and the other part made casual games instead andā€¦ blah.

1 Like

As I still have assholes that I call my friends who dragged me into heal for them in Dark Age of Camelot and then to sheep for them in WoW Beta, of course you have both of my ears.

I want to say ā€œit could have been greatā€ but honestly, I think it was always doomed to failure. We had this great tech that meant we could create content at an amazing pace, and management that didnā€™t know what it actually wanted (but it wasnā€™t whatever you just worked unpaid overtime for the past 40 days doing).

1 Like

Itā€™s basically crazy to buy a fallout or elder scrolls when it comes out. They have some pretty brutal bugs in them. A year or two later there will be fan-made patches that fix these bugs (since Bethesda only fixes a fraction of them) as well as a wiki with object IDs in case you run into a game breaking bug taht hasnā€™t been patched and have to do some console commands to fix things. Having cracked out the console in Oblivion, Skyrim and New Vegas, Iā€™m in no hurry to get Fallout IV. There are definite advantages to being a generation behind in AAA titles.

6 Likes

Yeah, that was the part that made me lose interest. (To be clear, I havenā€™t played the first Borderlands, only the second.) I just hated having to constantly check and compare various gun stats to figure out what to keep and what to throw away. At least in Borderlands it makes an effort to be entertainingly cheeky, with goofy options as you describe. But my goal is usually to get through the story and to deal with enemies efficiently, not to find amusing ways to kill them.

And in Fallout 4, I donā€™t want to waste any time wondering whether the Padded Articulated Raider Left Leg armor on that corpse there is better or worse than the Reinforced Upholstered Raider Left Leg armor Iā€™m currently equipped with. Resource micromanagement is not fun for me, particularly at todayā€™s ridiculously granular levels. For the last five hours or so Iā€™ve had the Grognak armor on Piper and the Silver Shroud armor on me, and thatā€™s been just peachy.

2 Likes